Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

What rating resistor for running LED tail light turn signals?

Old 09-08-2010, 02:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What rating resistor for running LED tail light turn signals?

Trying to mock up some flush tails using 4" LED tail/turn/stop lights but have been seeing all the "done" kits use a resistor for the flashers. Been looking on Google and on here but can't seem to find a rating on the resistors. Maybe I can pick them up at the local radio shack...
Old 09-08-2010, 02:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd imagine to just get a similar resistance for what the stock bulbs are. An ohm or so?
Old 09-08-2010, 02:34 PM
JK Jedi

if it was me I would take a multimeter to the bulb and see what resistance was on stock, then test resistance across the led's and see what the difference is. Then just add a resistor/resistors to make the value needed.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Need to know what kind of LEDs you are using and how you have them in series/parallel. The first site has a calculator for the resistor.

kpsec.freeuk.com/components/led.htm
members.misty.com/don/ledd.html
otherpower.com/otherpower_lighting_leds.html

This will just provide a voltage drop to protect the LEDs from being destroyed when power is applied to them. Some HID distributors sell Error Eliminators, Bulb Error Cancelors, etc to fake the computer into not alerting a "bad" bulb. I don't know how they are wired though. Sorry.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use 50W 6ohm resistors. They seem to be very common for LED turn signal/stop lights. I searched on EBAY and that was the only rating i saw for sale. Used em and they work great.

Quick Reply: What rating resistor for running LED tail light turn signals?