Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

What gauge wire to use?

Old 12-10-2014, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gauge wire to use?

Hello I just purchase some rock lights from a china and was wondering what gauge wire should I use to wire them up. Here is a picture of the lights.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1315695164.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	587470  
Old 12-10-2014, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

I'd use 16
Old 12-10-2014, 03:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YD215
Hello I just purchase some rock lights from a china and was wondering what gauge wire should I use to wire them up. Here is a picture of the lights.
16 gauge is probably fine for almost all low amp draw applications in an automobile, so assuming those are LED's I'm sure 16 will be fine.

It really depends on the amp draw of your lights and the length of wire you need to run. The higher the amp draw and the longer the wire, the thicker gauge of wire you'll need to use.

The lights you have probably gave you a wattage (i.e. 6 watt or 10 watt LED). You can calculate amps by dividing watts by voltage (amps=watts/voltage). For example, if those happen to be 10 watt LEDs, then you'd divide 10 watts by 13.8 volts (normally used for 12v auto applications). 10/13.8 = .724 amps. Round up from there to be on the safe side and that is your amp draw. Then use the calculator to calculate how thick of wire you need.

Don't forget to protect the circuit with a properly sized fuse near the battery. You could also add in a relay which changes things up a bit, and aren't normally needed for low-amp draw application like LEDs. Again, I'm assuming those are LEDs you have there. If those aren't LEDs, then they may potentially draw quite a bit more power and you'll need to pay closer attention to proper sized wire, a switch capable of handling the load, and possible use of a relay. I always err towards the side of caution though. My dad would just grab whatever wire he happened to have lying around and wire it up without a second thought.

Other folks with far more education can probably give you more information, but the short answer is 16 gauge should be safe for those lights assuming they're LEDs.

Here is a calculator...

Wire Size Calculator | GTSparkplugs

Last edited by smittycm; 12-10-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by smittycm
16 gauge is probably fine for almost all low amp draw applications in an automobile, so assuming those are LED's I'm sure 16 will be fine. It really depends on the amp draw of your lights and the length of wire you need to run. The higher the amp draw and the longer the wire, the thicker gauge of wire you'll need to use. The lights you have probably gave you a wattage (i.e. 6 watt or 10 watt LED). You can calculate amps by dividing watts by voltage (amps=watts/voltage). For example, if those happen to be 10 watt LEDs, then you'd divide 10 watts by 13.8 volts (normally used for 12v auto applications). 10/13.8 = .724 amps. Round up from there to be on the safe side and that is your amp draw. Then use the calculator to calculate how thick of wire you need. Don't forget to protect the circuit with a properly sized fuse near the battery. You could also add in a relay which changes things up a bit, and aren't normally needed for low-amp draw application like LEDs. Again, I'm assuming those are LEDs you have there. If those aren't LEDs, then they may potentially draw quite a bit more power and you'll need to pay closer attention to proper sized wire, a switch capable of handling the load, and possible use of a relay. I always err towards the side of caution though. My dad would just grab whatever wire he happened to have lying around and wire it up without a second thought. Other folks with far more education can probably give you more information, but the short answer is 16 gauge should be safe for those lights assuming they're LEDs. Here is a calculator... Wire Size Calculator | GTSparkplugs
You just made my "I'd use 16" reply look like a bitch.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bigcharlie58
You just made my "I'd use 16" reply look like a bitch.
haha... my bad. I'm just long-winded. In the end, I agreed that 16 is more than fine. Probably could have left well enough alone in this case. I'm just bored at work and have to keep typing to make it look like I'm busy.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys. Here is the ebay post. They are 4.5w led lights. I want to get some nice braided wire for these to make it a clean install. Im also thinking about hooking them up to a key fob remote. Thanks
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=111394286833

Quick Reply: What gauge wire to use?