Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

What is this female socket?

Old 06-08-2023, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is this female socket?

Can anyone tell me what this female socket is in the rear driver brake light compartment? My JK is a 2008 and I have removed the brake light housing to change bulbs many times over the years, but never noticed this extra socket.

Old 06-08-2023, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am pretty sure it is your towing harness
Old 06-08-2023, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepLiam
I am pretty sure it is your towing harness
I thought this was the towing harness

The following users liked this post:
Sixty4x4 (06-08-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 01:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you have a hard or soft top? I have a 2011 JK Sahara with a soft top and there is an unused connector above my driver side taillight, but it is in the interior. Mine is for a hard top's washer/wipers and rear defrost, although my connector is inside in the rear left corner, right above taillight. That would be my guess. You could confirm by reading each terminal for voltage while turning on the rear wipers switch. Since everything is wired using a can bus system, the signal wire (input coming from wiper switch) will only read 5 volts. Power wire should read 12.
Old 06-09-2023, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CJ's JK
Do you have a hard or soft top? I have a 2011 JK Sahara with a soft top and there is an unused connector above my driver side taillight, but it is in the interior. Mine is for a hard top's washer/wipers and rear defrost, although my connector is inside in the rear left corner, right above taillight. That would be my guess. You could confirm by reading each terminal for voltage while turning on the rear wipers switch. Since everything is wired using a can bus system, the signal wire (input coming from wiper switch) will only read 5 volts. Power wire should read 12.
I have a soft top and a hard top. I know what connection you are referring to and this is not that one. This one is behind the driver brake light when you remove it (such as when you change a burned out bulb). It comes off of the same harness that goes to the brake light. It may be related to towing, but I thought that was what the socket under the rear bumper was for. Seems odd that you would have to plug into a socket hidden in the brake light compartment.
Old 06-09-2023, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by uofawildcats
I thought this was the towing harness
Thats one side of it, the other side plugs in somewhere around the tail lights, im almost positive its that. What else would it be? I have aftermarket 3rd brake light/license plate light. The only thing unplugged on mine is that same cable, i never tow and my harness got messed up so i unplugged it. I did all the wiring myself so i think that is the only option??

Last edited by JeepLiam; 06-09-2023 at 11:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
user 729872082 (06-15-2023)

Quick Reply: What is this female socket?