Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

What is the BEST/BRIGHTEST aftermarket headlight solution for my 09 JKU Rubicon?

Old 11-25-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the BEST/BRIGHTEST aftermarket headlight solution for my 09 JKU Rubicon?

Hi Everybody, Happy Hoidays!

I have gotten to the point where I don't even want to drive the Jeep at night. The stock headlamps SUCK!!! (and they aren't just old, the jeep only has 3800 miles on it!)

I had my dealership look at them and they supposedly re-aligned them, probably something that wasn't done after they put my 4.5 inch mopar lift on.

It still doesn't solve the problem.... I see better with the low beams and fogs on then with the brights. There are too many deer around where I live, and I need to see the road.

I AM getting brighter lights for the Holidays from my in-laws and I figured I would post the question here, as someone has probably already posted on this and or been down this road...

What are my solutions, please be explicit.

Thanks so much in advance!
Jacob aka "livin"
Old 11-25-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Jedi

I did the IPF and Hid fog conversion. I see 1000% better
Old 11-25-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

wait and see what the new Trucklite LED headlights will look and perform like they come out 1st quater 2012. That's what I'm waiting for... I already have the IPF's and they are an improvement but not substantial enough imo.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put in the PIAA extreem whites to match my 61/4 SMRs . I love them very bright would deffinatly recomend them
Old 11-25-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is definitely my next mod. Some Sylvania or PIAA bulbs or something. I love the Jeep but these are by far, the worst factory headlights I've ever seen. My '76 Duster sealed beams were better than this.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

How do the PIAA Wxtremes compare to the new Trucklite LED headlights coming out in 2012, and whats the cost for this set up?

I have heard that some lights work off a separte balast that must be installed, do any of these set-ups have a balast?

Thanks,
livin
Old 11-25-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by livin
How do the PIAA Wxtremes compare to the new Trucklite LED headlights coming out in 2012, and whats the cost for this set up?

I have heard that some lights work off a separte balast that must be installed, do any of these set-ups have a balast?

Thanks,
livin
I used to put PIAA on everything I own until I realized they are bright but freckin Glare everything!!
Old 11-25-2011, 09:15 PM
JK Jedi

I share your pain. My plan is to go with hella e codes and an aftermarket wiring harness from rallye lights. In the meantime, I flip on my Lightforce 170's if I'm alone on the road.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:14 AM
JK Freak

Well, I have VVME 50W lamps in the headlights and fogs - together they are absolutely absurd. I don't get any flashes on low beams with the fogs off, and that is suburban to urban driving - so everyone is okay with it. Light it up all on - my personal light "path" is significantly brighter than the streetlights in the city. I have available light at dusk even.

Total cost around $200.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by livin

Thanks,
livin
The PIAA's are just improved replacement bulbs and the Trucklite are complete units using led bulbs. In a nutshell the Trucklites will be WAY brighter and WAY more expensive...

Quick Reply: What is the BEST/BRIGHTEST aftermarket headlight solution for my 09 JKU Rubicon?