Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

The weirdest thing with sub install. Please help

Old 01-15-2012, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joshclark0331
With your trunk closed your subs are sending sound waves to the rear of the vehicle. The sound wave then hits the trunk lid area and bounces back toward the front of the car. As this happens it meets the next sound wave coming toward the rear of the car. This makes a loud explosion of the two sound waves which creates louder bass. When the trunk lid is open the sound waves simply just leave the vehicle because there is nothing for the sound wave to bounce off of and collide with the next signal. My jeep is the same way. With the top on my subs sound great. When I remove the top I can barely hear them at all.

If your subs were out of phase they would sound pretty bad all the time. One sub is pushing a sound wave while the other sub pulls a sound wave thus canceling each other out. You would have very little bass wether you had the trunk open or not.
Ok so cancel out everything I just wrote as I just reread your post and came to the realization that you are losing power with trunk closed. My theory is still correct, just not in your scenario. In your case it probably is a phase issue. Or your box my be sitting to close to the rear of the trunk so the sound waves are canceling each other out. Do your subs face the front or back of the car
Old 01-16-2012, 12:10 AM
JK Newbie

thinking that you have two subs, a common problem that happens a lot is people wire one sub backwards which makes perfect sence, this would cause phase canncelation. and still show power being put out. when the trunk is closed the air has nowhere to go and get cancelled even more. as one speaker is going out the other is going in, it creates opposing waves cancelling your sound.
This is what i imaging it being. Im not the brightest with car sound but i am a sound engineer and it all makes sence. Hope this helps
Old 01-16-2012, 05:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do switch the phase just wire the sub the other way
Old 01-16-2012, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

The Positive and negative of one of the speakers has to be switched. They both have to be the same if not then you'll have major phase cancellation.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With phase issues you won't lose all that much output, it just wouldn't sound great. Is the box ported or sealed?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sealed box. But this system played great in my jeep and plays great if the trunk is open. If u shut the trunk the amp stays on but subs barley move
Old 01-16-2012, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Wrong phase issues can completely make absolutely no sound or sound terrible or anywhere in between. All depends on how bad your problem is.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess with dual subs it could cause cancellation if one is pushing and one is pulling simutainiously but the trunk being open or closed shouldn't affect this issue. The op says the subs hit with trunk open. That wouldn't happen if they were outta phase.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TJM12
I guess with dual subs it could cause cancellation if one is pushing and one is pulling simutainiously but the trunk being open or closed shouldn't affect this issue. The op says the subs hit with trunk open. That wouldn't happen if they were outta phase.
Sure it will affect it if the trunk is closed. There are too many sound waves bouncing all over the place canceling each other out. If the trunk is open then your sound wave is just coming out of the trunk not being interrupted by any other sound waves
Old 01-16-2012, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

Idk maybe, unless with the trunk open the audio waves at least have somewhere to go its a more open area may sound less powerful but still might have some nice power, but when he closses the trunk the air has nowhere to escape. i think if the amp is still showing it pumping even with the trunk closed it has to be some sort of problem with the speakers, that would show the amps not cutting out because of a ground issue right? try to unplug one speaker close the trunk if you still have the problem rule out phase. How are the speakers facing? if directly at eachother, If there in sealed boxes, the audio waves dont go directly at eachother and can escape in all directions when truck is open. but when closed are forced to stay in the confined area and cancel out. if there directly nexy to eachother in the same box it cant be phase cancellation because you would deffidently notice it- truck closed or open like TJM12 is saying.

Quick Reply: The weirdest thing with sub install. Please help