Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

The weirdest thing with sub install. Please help

Old 01-15-2012, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The weirdest thing with sub install. Please help

Ok so not a Jk but its a sub install. I installed two kicker tens with amp in a buddies honda accord today. Everything sounded great and really loud but when you shut the truck the subs loose almost all power. The amp light is still on but bass drops of almost completely. I moved the ground three times but still the same thing. As soon as you pop the trunk it starts pounding again. Any ideas because I am lost and I have installed a ton of systems and never seen this. Please help if you can im stumped
Old 01-15-2012, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did u wire it, and what kind of accord? ( 2dr, 4dr)
Old 01-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Where is the wiring run? Sounds like either a bad connection or something is being pinched when you shut the trunk.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:08 PM
JK Freak

It's a two door. Power wire from battery to amp. Remote wire and audio jack wires from back of head unit. No wires that I ran are in the way of the trunk.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Have you tried closing the trunk real easy opposed to slamming it shut? Have you double checked all connections and the ground?
Old 01-15-2012, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

Yeah it does not matter how you close it and as soon as you pop it, its starts hitting hard again
Old 01-15-2012, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming the stock head unit hasn't been replaced, does this Honda have Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) as part of the audio system? This could cause issues with the outputs to the subs if present and active.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by greenonions
Assuming the stock head unit hasn't been replaced, does this Honda have Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) as part of the audio system? This could cause issues with the outputs to the subs if present and active.
its an after market head unit JVC
Old 01-15-2012, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Check to see that you haven't wired your subs out of phase. Most HU these days can reverse phase at the source negating you to actually change the wiring. Sounds like a possible phase problem - check it out and let us know.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

With your trunk closed your subs are sending sound waves to the rear of the vehicle. The sound wave then hits the trunk lid area and bounces back toward the front of the car. As this happens it meets the next sound wave coming toward the rear of the car. This makes a loud explosion of the two sound waves which creates louder bass. When the trunk lid is open the sound waves simply just leave the vehicle because there is nothing for the sound wave to bounce off of and collide with the next signal. My jeep is the same way. With the top on my subs sound great. When I remove the top I can barely hear them at all.

If your subs were out of phase they would sound pretty bad all the time. One sub is pushing a sound wave while the other sub pulls a sound wave thus canceling each other out. You would have very little bass wether you had the trunk open or not.

Last edited by joshclark0331; 01-15-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: The weirdest thing with sub install. Please help