Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Waterproof Dashboard?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Waterproof Dashboard?

I saw some videos on YouTube of people driving their TJs and YJs through the car wash. Has anyone done this with their JK? I'm wondering about the electronics and stuff. How far can I take this? Is my radio/HVAC controls going to fry? How "water resistant" is the inside of the JK?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

I had mine in a downpour were the cup holders were full of water AND I MEAN FULL OF WATER!!!!

Everything still works to this day.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Jedi Master
Veteran: Air ForceFJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by itsarubiconday
... How "water resistant" is the inside of the JK?
I don't believe that Jeep has gone to any special lengths to make the interior waterproof--unless you count the carpeting. But, there are plenty of testimonials about having gotten the interior soaked and everything worked fine once dried out. I've been caught in a couple heavy downpours, and will say that some things stopped working for a few hours/days, until it had dried out completely, but everything did return to normal eventually. I wouldn't go out of my way to soak the interior, especially with a high pressure spray, or even worse, with soap, but I wouldn't worry if things did get soaked. Let it dry out good and everything will probably turn out alright.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had my top off and it started raining and didn't stop for 4 days, about 6 inches of water in mine and then it all froze because the temps dropped right after it stopped raining. I waited for it to melt and opened the drain holes and it all dried out fine. Drove it when it was still wet and everything worked fine including the radio and HVAC. I would be slightly worried about the soap as they said above. Water though has never been a problem for me.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Default dash tight

my sales man and the tech i talked to bothe said that you can take a everyday garden hose with no nossle and spray the dash with no problems. there's rubber boot's behind all the parts that matter. this is what the tech told me. i have not gotten the inside of my jeep rained on yet. when it's gets dusty, i take a wet rag to everything. good enough for me.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

I have had it rain/hail into my Jeep and so far no problems. I think that it partly due to the silicone 'rubber' buttons and some gasket protection in parts of the dash.

That said, the radio is the same as any Chrysler head unit, and I'm sure enough water WILL do damage.

Quick Reply: Waterproof Dashboard?