Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Water in fuel filter light

Old 12-27-2011, 11:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the water in fuel filter light come on today, have already drained the fuel filter but light went of all day and come back on this evening... Any ideas ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3450761412.jpg
Views:	1486
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	255209  

Last edited by rndptkea; 12-28-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump anyone ....
Old 12-28-2011, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've never seen that light...do you have a crd?
Edit: have you cycled the ignition to check for codes?

Last edited by efan450; 12-28-2011 at 05:25 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by efan450
I've never seen that light...do you have a crd?
Edit: have you cycled the ignition to check for codes?
Yeah it's a Crd, I haven't checked the error codes but I don't think it will be different to the manuals explanation but I'll try it ...
Old 12-28-2011, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Idk for sure on the crd but you should have a primer button on your fuel filter, try pressing that a few times...I would also try adding some anti gel fuel additive...I recommend diesel 911 has always worked well with my old mans duramax when they start putting out the crappy 40 cetain fuel around my area come winter time
Old 01-06-2012, 04:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Most filters of this type that have an indicator also have a drain on them to drain the water out of the filter housing. Go to where the filter is located and drain the fuel that is in it, you can cycle the fuel pump a few times to fill the housing back with fresh diesel or you can 'prime' it manually if it has the ability to do so.

As was mentioned, a diesel fuel conditioner would be good to run through your nest fuel up. Read the container!! It only takes a little bit of additive per fill, more is not better and you won't need much in your climate I imagine, it's a pretty common thing for diesels in Canada to require treatment. I doubt that light will trigger a hard code and once you drain the filter housing to get rid of the water the light will go away.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Forgot to post what the dealership found... Was a faulty water/fuel separator sensor.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rndptkea
Forgot to post what the dealership found... Was a faulty water/fuel separator sensor.
Hi there, I am down on the gold coast. I have just started getting this warning light today as well. With all the rain this week i get the warning for a few seconds each time i go through a puddle on the road so i am guessing it is a faulty sensor as well.

was yours replaced under warranty or did you have to buy it? any idea how much it is?

Thanks Phil
Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bumpy

Hi there, I am down on the gold coast. I have just started getting this warning light today as well. With all the rain this week i get the warning for a few seconds each time i go through a puddle on the road so i am guessing it is a faulty sensor as well.

was yours replaced under warranty or did you have to buy it? any idea how much it is?

Thanks Phil
Yeah mate, fixed under warranty by Albion jeep, I would not bother with the dealership at the gold coast, they have let me down a few times already... Have you drained your separator yet? Might fix the problem, it's quite easy?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

I am at Jeep Albion right now being told that a new fuel/water separator is $580 and not covered under warranty. Car has done 65000 km (2010 JK CRD). Was there anything special that had to be done to get this done under warranty ?? Any help appreciated.

Quick Reply: Water in fuel filter light