Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Want to convert my old PIIA 520 to HID

Old 02-22-2016, 08:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to convert my old PIIA 520 to HID

My PIAA harness and bulb went out and I could replace it all for a great $150 or I was thinking of getting a ddm hid kit and making it all work again for considerably less.
I was wondering what exactly would I need to buy besides buying the HID DDM
https://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/D...ast-35W-or-55W
Was wanting 5000k to go into my Ion Crystals.
I am planning on using a fuse box tap so they can only be activated while on.
Was planning on doing the 55W, but

I don't know:
What bulb type to get. (H1, H2, H3, H4, etc)
What size relay do I need.
What gauge wire to use.
What switch should I purchased.

Never did any wiring for HID before but I was assuming since there are plug and play. I could use the same logic I have used to install my fogs for these.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 02-24-2016, 12:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

In your piaa....goto piaa's website to find out what bulb is in them. I am guessing H3 like my hella 500s. Then, order a 55w 4300k HID kit. I use vvme with good results, but if you want the best get the morimoto kit. After that its just a sort of plug and play. Once you have the wiring in front of you, you will see what I mean. YOu may have to chop a connector and solider a couple of wires to make connections complete. Its easy as pie, and you will have better light that all those fashion accessories LED bars.

Just to add, Baja designs and vision x are not classified in with those fashion accessories.

Last edited by Kojack; 02-24-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Kojack
In your piaa....goto piaa's website to find out what bulb is in them. I am guessing H3 like my hella 500s. Then, order a 55w 4300k HID kit. I use vvme with good results, but if you want the best get the morimoto kit. After that its just a sort of plug and play. Once you have the wiring in front of you, you will see what I mean. YOu may have to chop a connector and solider a couple of wires to make connections complete. Its easy as pie, and you will have better light that all those fashion accessories LED bars.

Just to add, Baja designs and vision x are not classified in with those fashion accessories.
Thank you so much man, yes they are H3's. I can use a relay I get at the auto store and wire them up from scratch like normal lights right?
Old 02-25-2016, 02:56 PM
JK Junkie

Yes everything works the same. Make sure to keep everything good quality. It makes a difference. My brother has a 40" light bar on the roof of his expedition EL, and my 2 Hella 500 HIDs mop that up in output, color and distance. all around way better lighting than from any LED bar I have seen. And I have seen them all.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:31 PM
JK Junkie

Yes everything works the same. Make sure to keep everything good quality. It makes a difference. My brother has a 40" light bar on the roof of his expedition EL, and my 2 Hella 500 HIDs mop that up in output, color and distance. all around way better lighting than from any LED bar I have seen. And I have seen them all.
Thats the stuff I want to hear! I am planning on running the DDM 55W 6000K in the Ion Crystal driving housings. Is there a special way to weather proof the ballasts?
Old 02-26-2016, 10:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between your Monroe reflex shocks and your badazz hid lights, you must get tons of p****.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Between your Monroe reflex shocks and your badazz hid lights, you must get tons of p****.
MORE THAN YOU!
Old 02-27-2016, 01:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by matt852
Thats the stuff I want to hear! I am planning on running the DDM 55W 6000K in the Ion Crystal driving housings. Is there a special way to weather proof the ballasts?
That will not work right. I would run 4300k to get proper light color, also, if you use VVME the ballasts are already waterproof...mine live just inside my grill, lived on a roof rack before that, and before that they lived on a brush guard.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:36 PM
JK Junkie

That will not work right. I would run 4300k to get proper light color, also, if you use VVME the ballasts are already waterproof...mine live just inside my grill, lived on a roof rack before that, and before that they lived on a brush guard.
Search Results : VVME.COM, Tattoo Kit, Xenon HID Kit, DVR Surveillance System & Projector

Are these the ones you are using? I will get the 55W 4300k
Old 02-28-2016, 01:45 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by matt852
Yep. they last a long time. I got mine in 2010, and only changed the bulbs last fall. Mine had ALOT of burn time too...I do 50k or more a year in the night with the HID on. If you are ordering, grab a couple of extra bulbs since they are so cheap...Then you have them ready to go. Mine started turning purple and brown.....popped a new set in and back to normal and much brighter than the old ones.

Quick Reply: Want to convert my old PIIA 520 to HID