Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

voltage gauge going nuts

Old 11-22-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default voltage gauge going nuts

So I have a voltage gauge in my Jeep on my A-pillar and it used to work perfectly fine.. When I'd turn the key to accessory, it would read about 12 and when I'd turn the Jeep on, it'd be between 13 and 14. Well recently my gauge has been going crazy.. The little orange stick just goes back and forth really fast when I turn the Jeep on and never settles anywhere. What the hell is the problem?? I've retraced all my wires and everything seems to be ok?

Thanks guys
Old 11-22-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Where did you tap to get the voltage reading?
Have you recently changed the location?
Have you recently added an electrical device?

Connect an analog volt meter directly to the battery and see what it does, with the engine off, then on.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the post above said, I'd measure the voltage with a volt meter to isolate the issue. If that checks out fine, then I'd guess the gauge needs to be replaced.

Quick Reply: voltage gauge going nuts