Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Viper Smart Start, Who has it?

Old 01-13-2011, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it on my manual Rubicon. LOVE IT!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:47 PM
JK Freak

How much does this run?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by blancolex300
I have installed a few of these, and they work rather well. There is a new version coming out that will give you tracking and geo fencing, as well as report back on alarm events and remote start.
Hmmm??? Now this sounds more interesting to me. I already have the factory remote start, but having the extra range and being notified of events would be a nice addition. That's the one thing I wish the factory remote start had of notifying me if the car started or not, since often when I try to start it my Jeep is out of direct sight.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
now if they could just make it work for a CARB! car.. id love to have the tracking and geofencing on my monte carlo... and in summer that hot rod roasts inside would be nice to be able to start it.. but unless it can fire an output before start there is no way for me to get it to set the choke... I can trip the accelerator pedal with a servo but the viper would need to be able to trigger that operation..

currently I have my own GPS I built for that car.. and it WORKS... but it is clumsy and uses an old IDEN Boost phone.. which the IDEN network is poised to go away soon...

-Christopher
That is more than do-able. You can use a doorlock actuator to pump the throttle cable with the factory disarm wire (pulse before start). Then the remote start will fire it up.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there any more reviews of this product? i would like more info.

Does it include an alarm?
Is it something that we could install ourselves?
Are there any more additional parts we need to order for it to work with our jeeps?
How does the deal work..... ie....do we buy a subscription, app, etc...

Most importantly, what is the total price out the door + any additional monthly fees.

Thanks

Last edited by east tn 1st jeep; 01-24-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Since I just got this installed yesterday, I thought I'd give my impressions on it. I live in an area with great cell coverage, which is apparently key to having it work all the time, so I shouldn't have any issues there. YMMV I suppose though depending on if you live out in the country etc. I can't speak to the ease of install since it was a Christmas gift and I had it installed at BestBuy. As a side note, for the do-it-yourselfer, there is a writeup here: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...GER-the-EZ-way

And the remote start used in that is essentially the one used in the smart start, with just the additional smart start box attached to it.

From my Droid I can lock, unlock, start, hit the panic button. There is a trunk button too, but clearly that's not of much use with the JK. It also remembers where you parked and can lead you back to your vehicle. I haven't tested the feature of it leading me back to my vehicle, but parked at my house, it actually has the address perfect, so seems like it should work.

With any of the commands, when you select them on your phone, it takes about 2 seconds for them to be received. When they are, you get a message on your screen saying command recieved or something.

One feature I don't know if it has since all I did was add this into the factory basic alarm was that if my alarm is set off, I don't know if it will send me a message. It looks like it might, as it does have an "alerts" tab that can be selected.

The SmartStart ranges in prices depending on whether you're just adding in the smartstart to a remote start you already have, I think that's $99 plus install, plus service, all the way up to around $500 bucks for alarm, remote start and the smartstart. The service itself costs either $49 per year or $99 for 3 years. Pricey, but well worth it for the convenience factor, and the price also includes their roadside assistance. I haven't read up enough to know whether that means a tow truck if one is needed or just them sending a signal to your vehicle in the event you not only lock your keys inside, but your phone as well.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
Since I just got this installed yesterday, I thought I'd give my impressions on it. I live in an area with great cell coverage, which is apparently key to having it work all the time, so I shouldn't have any issues there. YMMV I suppose though depending on if you live out in the country etc. I can't speak to the ease of install since it was a Christmas gift and I had it installed at BestBuy. As a side note, for the do-it-yourselfer, there is a writeup here: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...GER-the-EZ-way

And the remote start used in that is essentially the one used in the smart start, with just the additional smart start box attached to it.

From my Droid I can lock, unlock, start, hit the panic button. There is a trunk button too, but clearly that's not of much use with the JK. It also remembers where you parked and can lead you back to your vehicle. I haven't tested the feature of it leading me back to my vehicle, but parked at my house, it actually has the address perfect, so seems like it should work.

With any of the commands, when you select them on your phone, it takes about 2 seconds for them to be received. When they are, you get a message on your screen saying command recieved or something.

One feature I don't know if it has since all I did was add this into the factory basic alarm was that if my alarm is set off, I don't know if it will send me a message. It looks like it might, as it does have an "alerts" tab that can be selected.

The SmartStart ranges in prices depending on whether you're just adding in the smartstart to a remote start you already have, I think that's $99 plus install, plus service, all the way up to around $500 bucks for alarm, remote start and the smartstart. The service itself costs either $49 per year or $99 for 3 years. Pricey, but well worth it for the convenience factor, and the price also includes their roadside assistance. I haven't read up enough to know whether that means a tow truck if one is needed or just them sending a signal to your vehicle in the event you not only lock your keys inside, but your phone as well.
Thanks for short review, I'm wanting to get one also soon,
Old 04-05-2011, 04:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Just as an update, since having my SmartStart installed my Optima lasted less than a week! Now, I do have a winch and a set of fogs attached, but I've never had an issue before and I certainly wasn't trying to winch someone out while my foglights were on right before I decided to warm up my JK.

So based on that, my only conclusion is that the SmartStart has a fairly large power draw. I'm replacing the Blue Top with a Yellow Top later today and will see if perhaps the Blue Top simply wasn't adequate or was a dud. Very strange.

My other theory is the tech at Best Buy didn't wire something properly. They also opted not to install the ball bearing type hood switch, because apparently if you park on a slope it will activate, rendering the Smart Start useless. Oh and did I mention they also didn't install a plunger type hood switch either. I know this because after jumping the battery and letting it run, I had my girlfriend shut remove the key, so I could go over all the wiring and she used my phone to start it while I was under the hood. Glad I wasn't just looking at stuff and not touching anything. The funny thing is the guy ran the wires for the hood switch and then just decided he couldn't figure out a good way to do it?

On a related note, does anyone know where the factory hood switch is located on the newer JKs that came with remote start? And if anyone has a part number, that'd be great too, since it would probably be best just to use the one Mopar uses and call it a day.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Ok, not sure if anyone knows the answer, but I found where the factory remote start hood switch is located on my JK, but since my JK did not come with remote start, I do not have the mounting bracket or hood switch. What I do have is the wiring to connect to both of those, so I ordered the switch and the bracket.

I would think if I plug it all in as normal, nothing will happen, since it's not programmed for it, but what I really want to know is, if I tap into that wire, connecting the smart start hood switch wiring to the factory hood switch, will that work to give my smart start a hood switch with a factory appearance?

Hopefully, I didn't make too much of a mess of my explanation.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
SaharaBlack, isn't the blue optima a deep cycle/ marine battery? Eg- shouldn't be used as a DD battery?? I have the red top with no problems but could easily step up to a yellow or blue top if there are advantages with no drawbacks. I have 4 or 5 red tops, so I'm in the same boat as you- I believe in the optima's power.
Yes, which i believe now to be the culprit (but I will see in a few days, since the blue lasted nearly a week before giving out to the SmartStart). Not knowing much about batteries or electrical stuff in general (see my many posts to prove it. lol), I simply looked at the CCA, etc and since they were the same as the yellow top I figured it must be just as good for exactly the same uses. Wrong! I got it at Costco and really wanted the yellow or red top, but blue is what they had and after looking at the "stats" I figured it would be just fine. I do wish though that the Yellow Top came with the same additional posts that the Blue came with. I'll just have to add some to the side since it has a place for them, and that should keep everything looking a bit neater so I don't have quite as much stuff all over the top of the battery.

Quick Reply: Viper Smart Start, Who has it?