Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Usb

Old 04-12-2018, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Usb

Hey guys, I was curious if anyone has installed a USB outlet in their JK. I have a JKU and am looking to add some USBs to power kids iPads and what not on long trips, looking for suggestions on some clean installs that look nice. With no power for the back seats, I am looking at adding it either to the center console of one of the door pillars. The only other issue is that I am not too electrically inclined, would love to add 2 separated ones but not sure what can handle what. Thanks
Old 04-12-2018, 09:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

If you are thinking about putting something in the b-pillar molding, that might not be too hard to do. I'd think you should have plenty of clearance and be safe with the seatbelt assembly. The easiest thing would be to use a small tap and tap fuse in the engine bay fuse box. On my 2013 fuse M36 I believe is what powers the dash 12v plug. You can tap fuse, run wire back across the engine bay, pass the firewall on the driver's side (which is easier than the passenger side), route the wire under the floor/door molding and to the b-pillar molding. If you wanted one on the passenger side, just you could splice and extend a wire under the dash to the passenger side...through the floor/door molding to that b-pillar as well. You use more wire that way, but the firewall on the passenger side is blocked a bit by the battery. I THINK you'd be fine in regards to amount of power pulled off that fuse for those devices. I charge phones from my 12v which also powers my Bully Dog programmer full time, and my front seat heaters with no problems.

There are some other guys on here that are a bit more electrically incline that might chime in as well. I'm just thinking out loud what I'd do. It's easier than trying to tap something in the dash itself.

Quick Reply: Usb