Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Upgrade the Head Unit or buy an Amplifier/Subwoofer ??

Old 08-06-2013, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a line out converter, you can pick one up for about $20, it just taps into an existing speaker wire and now you have rca jacks to run to an amp. What I have always done (more a front stage guy) is get a decent but cheap 4 channel amp and run the front speakers off the amp and then bridge the sub to run off the other two channels. So now you can run the rear speakers off the head unit and the rest off of the 4 channel amp. Since you'd run the front speakers of the amp, you have extra wires that are no longer used. Run the LOC into those unused speakers and bam. It makes for a super simple, cheap yet effective sound system. By no means is it competition grade but who wants to drop $5000 on two front speakers, two amps and a sub, just to put into a Jeep that is going to get used? I don't, thats why I have a bimmer.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

Question

Anyone know if the a factory amplifier and subwoofer are plug-n-play with a JK's Media Center 130 ?
Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kallen90
Buy a line out converter, you can pick one up for about $20, it just taps into an existing speaker wire and now you have rca jacks to run to an amp. What I have always done (more a front stage guy) is get a decent but cheap 4 channel amp and run the front speakers off the amp and then bridge the sub to run off the other two channels. So now you can run the rear speakers off the head unit and the rest off of the 4 channel amp. Since you'd run the front speakers of the amp, you have extra wires that are no longer used. Run the LOC into those unused speakers and bam. It makes for a super simple, cheap yet effective sound system. By no means is it competition grade but who wants to drop $5000 on two front speakers, two amps and a sub, just to put into a Jeep that is going to get used? I don't, thats why I have a bimmer.
The pac sni-35 is a line out converter I just wanted to specify a quality name brand one so he doesnt have any problems with engine noise thats associated with lesser quality converters
Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

The sound quality of stock head units is garbage, the best upgrade I've ever done in any vehicle I've ever owned has been a decent aftermarket head unit.

I installed a double din kenwood in the JK using all stock speakers except the sub and it sounds A LOT better. Even before I installed the sub it still sounded better.

Stock head units just don't produce clean output, even changing speakers and adding an amp, you're just reproducing garbage.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by desync0
The sound quality of stock head units is garbage, the best upgrade I've ever done in any vehicle I've ever owned has been a decent aftermarket head unit.

I installed a double din kenwood in the JK using all stock speakers except the sub and it sounds A LOT better. Even before I installed the sub it still sounded better.

Stock head units just don't produce clean output, even changing speakers and adding an amp, you're just reproducing garbage.
Very good point indeed.

I would just hate loosing the U-connect Connectivity package I paid for. I assume that would all be lost when swapping to an aftermarket HU correct ?
Old 08-08-2013, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrat0116
Very good point indeed.

I would just hate loosing the U-connect Connectivity package I paid for. I assume that would all be lost when swapping to an aftermarket HU correct ?
You will lose the Uconnect feature. But, many of the new head units have voice integration. Mine has Siri integration and steering wheel control integration so I retain all the same functionality.

I sold my Uconnect unit for $130. Depending on your factory head unit, you can sell that too. I only had a 130, so I only got $90 for it.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

If you already changed the speakers, then start with the head unit.

Everyone is saying the stock head units sound like garbage. Well, the truth of the matter is that the head unit is really not garbage, the reason it now sounds like garbage is because you changed the speakers. What's really happening is that your stock head unit was designed to be paired with the stock speakers. The stock head units have EQ applied inside of them. Those EQ settings inside the radio were set based on the upon being connected to the factory speakers and adjusted based upon the response of the factory speakers.

So now you throw in new speakers, with different impedances, sensitivities, spectral responses, and different sound characteristics and now the EQ settings in the stock head unit no longer match the speakers. So guess why it sounds like garbage even if you add an amp to it? EQ settings are being applied to the wrong speakers with totally different sound characteristics.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mattk11

You will lose the Uconnect feature. But, many of the new head units have voice integration. Mine has Siri integration and steering wheel control integration so I retain all the same functionality.

I sold my Uconnect unit for $130. Depending on your factory head unit, you can sell that too. I only had a 130, so I only got $90 for it.
What head unit are you using?
Old 08-08-2013, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mattk11

What head unit do you have?
Old 08-08-2013, 04:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zane El-Jabsheh

What head unit do you have?
Pioneer 8500BHS.

But I will warn you that any speech enabled radio, whether Uconnect or aftermarket doesn't work great with the top off while driving.

Quick Reply: Upgrade the Head Unit or buy an Amplifier/Subwoofer ??