Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Upgrade the Head Unit or buy an Amplifier/Subwoofer ??

Old 08-04-2013, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgrade the Head Unit or buy an Amplifier/Subwoofer ??

I recently bought a 2013 JK with stock sound system in it. It has the Medic Center 130 head unit and I just replaed the (4) 6.5" speakers with aftermarket (3) way Pyles.

The (3) way Pyles made a big difference but the system needs much more gusto (Wattage) to bring it up to my liking.

I'm on a limited budget and can only do one of the following.

Should I replace the head unit or buy and aftermarket amplifier with a sub woofer ?
Old 08-04-2013, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

I just bought a 13 myself an did the same. i changed out all the speakers and tweeters with some polk audio stuff. it sounds good but I'm in the same boat as you, their good but they need more watts and I've been looking around and price wise and wattage wise its better to get an amp and run them off the amp cause even a aftermarket deck isn't gonna have enough watts to make the speakers sound there best. but it would also be easier to run the amp with an aftermarket deck. thats what i plan on doing, I'm saving up to buy a nice deck an a amp so i can run my speakers and i already have a amp an sub that will also be going in when i do that. my .02 just save to buy it all an do it at once, i can live with how it sounds for a bit till i get some more $$$$, hopw that helps
Old 08-04-2013, 08:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A new HU won't give you much more power. That's why amps exist. Amps are easier to hook up in conjunction with a new HU, but not impossible to do with the stock HU, which is what I did.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran aftermarket speakers an amp and stock head unit. Weren't the best components by any means (Jensen) but it sounded like ass. Crackly, and crappy. Upgraded to kenwood head unit and got pioneer sub to run off existing amp and much better.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Patman
A new HU won't give you much more power. That's why amps exist. Amps are easier to hook up in conjunction with a new HU, but not impossible to do with the stock HU, which is what I did.
Any how to articles/videos around on this ?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Labrat0116
Any how to articles/videos around on this ?
You dont need a article or video. Just go down to your local audio shop and pick up a Pac sni-35 and the instruction are on the back on how to install it so that you can hook up a amp. Very simple project
Old 08-05-2013, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by EsByrd
You dont need a article or video. Just go down to your local audio shop and pick up a Pac sni-35 and the instruction are on the back on how to install it so that you can hook up a amp. Very simple project
Old 08-05-2013, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

I have yet to replace my factory HU yet, but if its like any other car I've done, a factory HU alone will make even factory speakers sound better. The built in amp in an aftermarket HU will be better than the factory hands down.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cron-ex
I have yet to replace my factory HU yet, but if its like any other car I've done, a factory HU alone will make even factory speakers sound better. The built in amp in an aftermarket HU will be better than the factory hands down.
Agreed but unless you go with a cheap hu it gets really costly and the adapter to keep steering wheel controls is another $200 on top of the hu price so a amp will be more budget friendly for him.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

These new headunits are amazing. And you can change every thing right on the headunit, no steering wheel controls needed lol. Screw spending all that extra on a wire harness just run new wires to your headunit, I just got all done with mine today.

7.1 inch jvc touch screen DVD Bluetooth unit and infinity reference coax speakers with infinity tweeters in stock location. I ran a new power feed into the dash and just hooked up all the speakers directly. Very easy. Sure I don't have dimming or steering wheel controls but who cares. The new unit has a controller and auto dimming by time or light.

Sounds unbelievably better now. The stock stuff is junk.

I have a 10" alpine type r with a little kicker amp that's going in also this week. Should sound good for a jeep.

Quick Reply: Upgrade the Head Unit or buy an Amplifier/Subwoofer ??