Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

unresolved Uconnect anger

Old 01-27-2010, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unresolved Uconnect anger

when i bought my 09 sahara, the salesman specifically pointed out the hands free uconnect feature. i was steamed to find out when i got it home that it didnt function from the factory, and that i would have to shell out hundreds of bucks to make it work.

i even got on the phone with chrysler and elevated my beef as high as i could but they wouldnt budge. when i found out that they have resolved/corrected this on the 2010 model it was cold comfort.

now i am wondering....are there any lawyer jeepers on this site that would like to open up a class action suit to get chrysler/jeep/fiat to fix this obvious defect that is clearly false advertising; i mean the button on the radio with a face talking sure looked like a hands free dialing feature to me. and since they corrected this on the new model, isnt that correction tantamount to an admission that this should have worked on the 07-09 models?

if you want in on the action, please post a reply to this thread.

thanks!
Old 01-27-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In late 2007 the salesman told me about the lovely hands free system on my Sahara during the test drive, wasn't a selling point at the time but still felt unfair when I determined it was disabled after delivery.

I thought the 2010's had it solved as well, but there seems to still be some confusion. You only get the voice command/hands free uconnect in the 2010's IF you order the RER navigation, the RES and REQ still have it disabled.

This at least shows that the mic placement is fine, but still not ideal.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

sigh. my bad. i trusted the salesman in the show room who told me they sorted that out. clearly i am a slow learner.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of new cars come that way now, whether the buttons are on the radio, steering wheel etc. BMW and Mini have the buttons on the steering wheel but unless you purchase the module they don't function.

So don't feel too bad, but if it was a selling point, I think they owe you.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you have the RER, you can turn on your hands free by going into the engineering menu (free). Then buy a microphone and plug it in the back of the unit. i got the jeep mic that goes with the unit for $40 at a dealer. there are a bunch of threads on how to do it.

i agree its bs the way that it is misrepresented but imo, if you can get it to work for $40, its not worth the hassle or aggravation.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joes
If you have the RER, you can turn on your hands free by going into the engineering menu (free). Then buy a microphone and plug it in the back of the unit. i got the jeep mic that goes with the unit for $40 at a dealer. there are a bunch of threads on how to do it.

i agree its bs the way that it is misrepresented but imo, if you can get it to work for $40, its not worth the hassle or aggravation.
what is the link as I can never find anything with this crummy search engine
Old 01-30-2010, 01:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by goldtr8
what is the link as I can never find anything with this crummy search engine

This is how to do it for the MyGIG:

Quote from the mofv.com/migig/
this site is a world of info

"You can access the Engineering Menu of the MyGIG by pressing the 3 Hard Keys: SEEK UP - SEEK DOWN - MENU all at the same time. Which will allow you to test your hard drive, restore the system to factory defaults, reinstall corrupt software, Screw up your MyGIG permanently, etc.. Please be VERY careful when using this menu."

Last edited by JKlad; 01-30-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default You don't have it

From page 82 of the manual for my 2009 JK (it's online too)

uconnect phone
This feature is not available on two–door or four–door
models.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3
From page 82 of the manual for my 2009 JK (it's online too)

uconnect phone
This feature is not available on two–door or four–door
models.
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of confusion on the subject as to availability.

From what I understand, Chrysler simply disabled the feature on the Wranglers because the hands-free doesn't work well at highway speeds with the top down. On Nav units apparantly all that needs to be done is to enable the feature by going into the engineering menu and then fitting a 40 buck microphone kit available off e-bay ( the mic connections are already there & waiting at the back of the head unit; all you need to do it decide on the best place to put the microphone). On other non-Nav equipped units a module may need to be purchased for a couple of hundred bucks first (& then a microphone fitted & feature enabled).

I've looked into it a little as I intend to enable mine when I get the time to play with it & remove the head unit to install the microphone cable. There's heaps of threads both here & on other forums with step-by-step pics showing how to do it; I'll try to dig some links up. The dealer offered to do it for me but was going to charge me a stupid amount for labor & a MOPAR mic kit, so I'll wait & spend 40 bucks when I have a free morning.

Last edited by JKlad; 01-30-2010 at 03:36 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joes

oh, i agree; i would do th $40 in a heart beat. but i have the REQ. from what i have read there is a cable and they have to flash the computer. a lot o bucks.

Quick Reply: unresolved Uconnect anger