Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Ugh I hate to ask about systems.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ugh I hate to ask about systems.

I searched and have read 50-80 AWESOME threads by alot of you guys who are into great sound. I have built several serious sound systems in vehicles (And one 56' Carver Boat) and I swore up and down when I bought the Rubi with its MyGig/nav/Infinity system I would leave it stock ....... HA!

So I have confused the Bageezus out of myself in reading threads. So this I ask.

I am going to be using :
  • Boston SC60 6.75 series up front (Always loved boston's)
  • Boston SR60 series Sound Bar (Rear fill rules need not apply in a 2 door jeep)
  • JL Audio 8W3v3-8 Sub (Again had awesome results)
  • Alpine PDX-5 Amp

Now I know I need the C2A-CHY2 from Pac audio. and I hate to use the O.E.M wickedlly resistive 18 Ga. wire to the seperates .... but will (The Sub will get sepcial treatment)

Now I have read that the signal coming from the H/U is non volumized and the amp takes care of all volume adjustments.

Sooooo does this mean I tap off after the amp? If that is true then I am going to still have a crippled muttered sound being fed into my PDX ?

I am LockPicked and iPod interfaced at the moment so.....

In my head my connections will go From Jeep-->LockPick---->iPod Control--->Head Unit--->PRE AMP---->Pac Harness-----NEW AMP------->Speakers/Sub

The Above scenereo is the right way to enjoy better audio bliss. It takes the OEM Infinity amp out of the loop.

NOW If the PDX gets added POST oem infinity amp (Like I have read a few guys have done) then it will just be louder toilet water with a zero-grin factor at the end of the day which flat out sucks. If THIS SCENEREO IS TRUE then that must mean that volume control is built within the OEM Infinity amp which is super bogus and leads me to temptation to leave the jeep Stock audiowise.

Ah screw this I am goin' for a rip in the Jeep and in the meantime can you guys straighten me out here before I think myself into oblivion?

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2010, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am rockin' the stock Mopar Tune Box! WITH the satellite radio!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Well, there's really a few different ways you can approach this.

To answer your 1st questions....YES, when the Infinity amp is connected all volume adjustments are done within the amp, and EQ is applied inside the amp for each channel. So like you mentioned, if you tap in POST amp, then there will be filters applied to the audio signal.

The way the MyGig works is that if it detects that the Infinity amp is connected, then it sends out a "fixed" line level audio signal from 2 of its 4 outputs, which is an unfiltered signal to the Infinity amp and volume adjustments, Tone adjustments, Fade/Balance and EQ are all done within the Infinity amplifier. Now if you disconnected the Infinity amp, then the MyGig will detect that there's no amp connected and then audio will come out all 4 of its outputs (ie LF, RF, LR, RR), and then Volume, Tone, Balance, Fade are all done within the My Gig, where the MyGig will now be outputing Speaker level audio signals.

So if you wanted to, you could disconnect the Infinity amp, run speaker level outputs from the MyGig to separate amps, and then run wires from those amps to the speakers.....that's a lot of rewiring though but most of it can be tapped into where the Infinity amp connects to the wire harness, which is under the steering wheel.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Now if you disconnected the Infinity amp, then the MyGig will detect that there's no amp connected and then audio will come out all 4 of its outputs (ie LF, RF, LR, RR), and then Volume, Tone, Balance, Fade are all done within the My Gig, where the MyGig will now be outputing Speaker level audio signals.
AHA! So once the amp's "incoming signal" is lost then the MyGig reverts to a basic head unit with Vol, and Tone adjustments. I am sure the CanBus will spaz out on this one LOL

I don't know if the PdX has line level input capability however the pac harness has the ability for me to change over line out to RCA.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
I don't know if the PdX has line level input capability however the pac harness has the ability for me to change over line out to RCA.
The PDX-5 does not.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:02 PM
JK Super Freak

AHA O.k then that settles that RCA convo it is .... Hope it stays below 5V input level
Old 08-16-2010, 05:33 AM
JK Super Freak

You stated that you have built systems in the past and you seem to know what you are talking about. Just bite the bullet. H/U, Infinity Amp, speakers; Rip 'em all out and start over. You have the amp and speakers listed. Add a H/U to the shopping list and you will have a complete system.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Yup ... However I do like the OEM DVD/Nav H/U. Your right ... FIRE IN THE HOLE! (order up this week)
Old 08-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
AHA! So once the amp's "incoming signal" is lost then the MyGig reverts to a basic head unit with Vol, and Tone adjustments. I am sure the CanBus will spaz out on this one LOL

It won't mess with the Can bus. That's the way the head unit was designed to work. That's why you can buy the same MyGig and be able to put it in a JK with an Infinity amp or without one. The Can bus is just how the MyGig communicates with the amplifier, to make volume adjustments and such...so no amp connected...then no communications...then MyGig functions like a standard radio.

Quick Reply: Ugh I hate to ask about systems.