Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Uconnect: Is it worth it?

Old 06-26-2013, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uconnect: Is it worth it?

So after a long string of wondering through Jeep stuff I got to thinking about getting the Uconnect put in my 08JK. I was curious if anyone who has it thinks it's worth it's salt?

I keep reading how it can be used as a hotspot, which is why it has caught my attention. If that's possible I would like to use it as a hotspot for my ipad so I can use my pandora/slacker/SiriusXM apps.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Same questions, anyone??
Old 06-26-2013, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the system, Could it be better ....yeah probably! But it does everything I want it to do and guess what I have had Audi's that didn't do as much as this can. For what it's worth....I like my tunes and def need the navigation on occasion because I travel a lot and this is my DD so to me it was definitely worth it. Having it pair with the phone was painless and what I thought was very cool is the bluetooth stream of my tunes from my phone...you can upload to the hard drive and also play cd's or use a usb stick ...k not sure about the hotspot deal ...first I've heard about it..... but I can stream pandora from my phone although I have Sirius for about 1 more month then it goes by bye !
Old 06-26-2013, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by P1Rh0
So after a long string of wondering through Jeep stuff I got to thinking about getting the Uconnect put in my 08JK. I was curious if anyone who has it thinks it's worth it's salt?

I keep reading how it can be used as a hotspot, which is why it has caught my attention. If that's possible I would like to use it as a hotspot for my ipad so I can use my pandora/slacker/SiriusXM apps.
It can be used as a hotspot, but it's on Sprint and only used 3G data. So not exactly lightning speed. I have it in my '14 Grand Cherokee and as soon as they get Pandora, IHeartRadio, and Slacker up and running, it'll be pretty cool. Plus mine also has remote start via cell phone, so that's pretty awesome. All in all, I think it's a good system....just need to get the bugs worked out and get the apps running right.

Not sure where in TX you are, but if you're close to Denton, I'd be happy to let you check out my GC.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yellowfin
It can be used as a hotspot, but it's on Sprint and only used 3G data. So not exactly lightning speed. I have it in my '14 Grand Cherokee and as soon as they get Pandora, IHeartRadio, and Slacker up and running, it'll be pretty cool. Plus mine also has remote start via cell phone, so that's pretty awesome. All in all, I think it's a good system....just need to get the bugs worked out and get the apps running right.

Not sure where in TX you are, but if you're close to Denton, I'd be happy to let you check out my GC.

I'm over in the East Texas area, over by Gilmer/Longview/Diana. If you are ever this way I would love to check it out or if Im in the Denton area I wouldn't mind a look at it. As soon as you said Sprint the idea of the wifi was lost. The only cell coverage that really works in my area is Verizon. As soon as the internet radio stations like Pandora and Slacker are up and running thats when it will really catch my attention. And to be honest, I may already have it installed in my rig but it's just not activated. Is there a way to tell if the wiring is already there? For all the mods I have done I'm a n00b when it comes to the electrical system in the Jeeps.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is the wifi uconnect only for the upper level systems found in the the saharas and rubicons? I have a JK sport on the way with the 130 and a uconnect package, but I never saw any mention of wifi.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

I have the upgraded uConnect, Nav system and I use Sprint as my IPhone provider... How do I get a Hot Spot for my kids. ?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would sell mine if anyone is interested. No clue how much it's worth. Out of a 2013. I just don't use it.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get a hot spot from Verizon or something. it will be much nicer and you will not be tethered to the jeep for WiFi. buy an aftermarket HU if you want any of the top end audio/video stuff. an aftermarket HU will kick the sh!t outta any OEM HU
Old 07-02-2013, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmydarnell
I would sell mine if anyone is interested. No clue how much it's worth. Out of a 2013. I just don't use it.
There should be an issue installing this into a 2-dr JK sport would there? It wasn't an upgradable option for me since I didn't get a Sahara or rubicon, the best I could do was the connectivity group and sat radio.

Quick Reply: Uconnect: Is it worth it?