Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

uconnect vs. aftermarket deck

Old 07-10-2008, 08:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the uConnect with iPod and I have actually been able to talk to my wife on occasion with the top down and doors off. If it was a really important call I'd at least slow down a little, but the real kicker for me is that I can actually hear the phone ring since the uConnect runs through the speakers.

I also have the iPod kit and it does pretty well. I use a 4Gig Nano and used velcro to stick it up inside the dash behind the glove box. It is pretty much like having 4 days worth of tunes at my disposal, but it looks cheap and stock so I don't have to worry about anything disappearing. You can scroll through by artist, music style, CD title, and playlist. I suppose if you had 80 Gigs of music it may suck navigating through a long artist list, but for me this setup works pretty well.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Oh yea... and do the install yourself. If you have a good relationship with the dealer they might even do the flash upgrade for free. Mine did and it only took them 10 minutes. They accidentally put the thing in French mode at first though and it took a half hour to figure out the voice command to get the damn thing back into English.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:02 PM
JK Newbie

MOWrangler:
Which iPod kit are you talking about?
I'm aware of the Fm Modulated one but you still use the iPod's controls...
Did Mopar release a new one that is controlled through the MyGig?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 08-31-2010, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Any PICS?

Originally Posted by MOWrangler
I have the uConnect with iPod and I have actually been able to talk to my wife on occasion with the top down and doors off. If it was a really important call I'd at least slow down a little, but the real kicker for me is that I can actually hear the phone ring since the uConnect runs through the speakers.

I also have the iPod kit and it does pretty well. I use a 4Gig Nano and used velcro to stick it up inside the dash behind the glove box. It is pretty much like having 4 days worth of tunes at my disposal, but it looks cheap and stock so I don't have to worry about anything disappearing. You can scroll through by artist, music style, CD title, and playlist. I suppose if you had 80 Gigs of music it may suck navigating through a long artist list, but for me this setup works pretty well.
Does anyone have any pics of this set up with the REQ with 6-cd player? I mean, what sort of display appears allowing you to control your IPOD thru your radio with the UConnect with Ipod kit??
Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I only have a single shot at hand, but you can select, Music, Artists, Playlists, etc... by using the right hand knob to scroll through the options.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3334 (Small).JPG
Views:	87
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	85120
Old 08-31-2010, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Quick question... can you control the IPOD through the single disc stereo as well or do you have to have the 6 disc? My deck looks exactly the same for buttons functionality.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

Unless there is a big difference between your '08 and my '10 it seems you might be getting taken. I bought my uconnect phone and ipod harness from the dealer for about $275 and they installed it all for $75. There may be an issue with the type of radio you have. Mine is a REQ.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:32 PM
MAG
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Viperpilot611
Quick question... can you control the IPOD through the single disc stereo as well or do you have to have the 6 disc? My deck looks exactly the same for buttons functionality.
Yes, I have the single disc stereo with unconnect and ipod. you control it just like Octo said.

I did the install myself. it's pretty easy accept you need to be careful not to scratch the interior when removing the dash components. The dealer charged me half hour labor ($65, IIRC) to hook it up to the starSCAN computer for programming.

Last edited by MAG; 09-02-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks. I'm going to have to order one now.

Quick Reply: uconnect vs. aftermarket deck