Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

uconnect vs. aftermarket deck

Old 07-09-2008, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uconnect vs. aftermarket deck

I recently contacted 3 local Jeep dealers in San Diego. Only one of three (Midway Jeep) were aware that the uconnect is possible on a 08 Wrangler 2door. I first learned about it by clicking the MOPAR link on Jeep's website. Now I have seen allot of discussion here on the site about people who connected it themselves with and without success. And all still had to go into the dealer for the final set up. I was quoted $250 for the uconnect and 49.00 for the IPod connect plus 23.18 tax . I was fine with that but the quote for Labor was $276.00!!!.

Is it worth it or should I just go get an Alpine or Kenwwod deck with IPOD connect and Bluetooth? I have the infinity Speakers in my Sahara and I read I might need to bypass the stock amp is that true?

I really need an IPOD in the car and I can't stand controlling through the Aux.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a kenwood touchscreen display that I transfered from my pickup truck. I added a $20 cable for the ipod (I have an iPhone) and I added a garmin GPS module (basically gives you touchscreen GPS...)

I don't think you can do it any better. For bluetooth I have a jawbone headset. I figured the bluetooth kit wasn't worth it, since the jeep is pretty loud.

What's great though, is with the iPhone, when a call comes in, the music silences, and I just reach for my headset. Works just as well, in my opinion. Of course, it'll only work if you have an iPhone.....
Old 07-09-2008, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Socalsd
I recently contacted 3 local Jeep dealers in San Diego. Only one of three (Midway Jeep) were aware that the uconnect is possible on a 08 Wrangler 2door. I first learned about it by clicking the MOPAR link on Jeep's website. Now I have seen allot of discussion here on the site about people who connected it themselves with and without success. And all still had to go into the dealer for the final set up. I was quoted $250 for the uconnect and 49.00 for the IPod connect plus 23.18 tax . I was fine with that but the quote for Labor was $276.00!!!.

Is it worth it or should I just go get an Alpine or Kenwwod deck with IPOD connect and Bluetooth? I have the infinity Speakers in my Sahara and I read I might need to bypass the stock amp is that true?

I really need an IPOD in the car and I can't stand controlling through the Aux.
$276 labor I installed it myself, takes maybe 30min but then you do have to goto the dealer to get them to activate it. I still havent got mine activated yet though lol.

Moparpartsamerica.com has the part for 219. part number 82211004ab

justforjeeps.com has it for 225

there is also a rebate for $25 if you spend 200 on mopar parts
Old 07-09-2008, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Save money and do the labor yourself, it's so easy I was able to do it successfully. And I make those Geico cavemen look like Rhodes Scholars when it comes to anything handy. Then you'll just have to have it flashed, which shouldn't take them long, and you'll most likely be billed for a half hour to an hour for that.

An aftermarket deck with bluetooth would no doubt function every bit as well, and the sound would no doubt be better, but I wanted to keep things looking fairly stock.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you have mygig?? If so then I bought a mic from the people that make the lock pic software for $30, downloaded the 9.715 update software for the mygig from harmon becker's website and installed all myself uconnect works great for only $30 including shipping
Old 07-10-2008, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

I have bluetooth through my aftermarket HU, and I can say that unless I've got the top up, doors on, windows all sealed up... it is pretty close to worthless. I just have to bypass calls if I'm not all sealed up, because it is impossible to talk to someone, just because it is so loud. A headset would no doubt be better.

Just some info FWIW
Old 07-10-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Angry

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
Save money and do the labor yourself, it's so easy I was able to do it successfully. And I make those Geico cavemen look like Rhodes Scholars when it comes to anything handy. Then you'll just have to have it flashed, which shouldn't take them long, and you'll most likely be billed for a half hour to an hour for that.

An aftermarket deck with bluetooth would no doubt function every bit as well, and the sound would no doubt be better, but I wanted to keep things looking fairly stock.
I have a 2007 Wrangler Sahar 4dr 4x4. I planning to install the u-connect, I understand that this is a plug and play install. You mentioned that the unit had to be flashed, is this so.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red08rubicon_tx
Do you have mygig?? If so then I bought a mic from the people that make the lock pic software for $30, downloaded the 9.715 update software for the mygig from harmon becker's website and installed all myself uconnect works great for only $30 including shipping
can you control your Ipod (assuming you have one) through your Uconnect?
Old 07-10-2008, 12:37 PM
JK Newbie

I have the 6 Disc H/U and had the U-Connect and IPod cable installed at my local dealership in Tampa. They charged about $90 total for labor. I have seen other posts where dealers are charging between .5 and 1.0 hour, so your quote seems high.

I am very happy with the U-Connect, even with the top off. More importantly, the sound from the Ipod Cable through the glove compartment is much, much better than through the AUX. It was worth the money for the improvement in the IPod sound quality alone, not to mention being able to control the IPod through the H/U.

I have had high-end audio systems in previous cars and aftermarket will definitely be better overall, but if you are looking to save some $ and get full functionality from a decent factory setup in the 6 Disc factory system in the JK, i would highly recommend pulling the trigger on the U-Connect and integrated IPod cable.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Actually no I don't have an ipod but with the mygig I don't really need one I have 450+ songs saved to the mygig now and I can controll the radio functions with the uconnect I assume that with the proper ipod cable to hook it up to the mygig that I could control it because I can control cd's, hd, sirius, and am/fm all with uconnect. Only thing I don't like is I can't switch from one of these to another can only control each once in that setting.

Quick Reply: uconnect vs. aftermarket deck