Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

UConnect 130/RES audio cutting out while driving

Old 06-08-2016, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UConnect 130/RES audio cutting out while driving

I have searched the threads and see there are a few issues similar to mine, however I didn't find this exact issue so here it goes:

I was driving yesterday and hit a pretty decent bump. I didn't hit it hard, but the Jeep rocked back and forth pretty good as I went over. Immediately, my radio cut in and out and ever since, it has continued to do so while moving. It doesn't appear to cut out when I am parked but I can't confirm that 100%. I had my sway bars disconnected when this happened as well.

Water shouldn't be an issue. A wire getting pinched and is causing an intermittent short makes sense given the symptoms, but I wheel pretty often and have gone over rougher terrain without issue. I saw that the older 3.8l had the exact same issue and was solved by a TSB, selectively reprogramming the radio at the dealer, but that was just for the 3.8l prior to 2006. I have a 2013 JKU.

I'm going to look at pulling the stock radio to see if there are any loose connections on the back of the head unit and investigate each speaker for a loose connection as a possible culprit.

If anyone has experienced this or has heard of a known issue, please let me know. It doesn't appear there is common problem like this. I dont have a sub or anything aftermarket. I also dont have the infinity speaker package either.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull your radio and check the connections on the back. Sounds like a loose wiring harness. Many videos on YouTube.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mattk11
Pull your radio and check the connections on the back. Sounds like a loose wiring harness. Many videos on YouTube.
I am thinking you're right. I just drove during my lunch break and noticed it cuts out when I hit a bump or brake. The only thing that has me scratching my head is the fact that the head unit face doesn't flicker or anything. I would assume that if its a loose wire harness, I would see power loss to the head unit.

I'll check it out tonight.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So it doesn't lose power but goes out? What exactly do you mean by it goes out? Static sound? No sound?
Old 06-09-2016, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
So it doesn't lose power but goes out? What exactly do you mean by it goes out? Static sound? No sound?
It was just the audio cutting out. I figured it out on my way home, luckily before I pulled the head unit. As I was driving, I remembered that every time I connect and disconnect the wire harness for the rear windshield wiper the audio cuts out so I check and sure enough, it wasn't tight. So weird that it would affect the sound system but it does. Its probably just a drain/surge on the electrical system and the radio protects itself by cutting off.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by coopaloop
It was just the audio cutting out. I figured it out on my way home, luckily before I pulled the head unit. As I was driving, I remembered that every time I connect and disconnect the wire harness for the rear windshield wiper the audio cuts out so I check and sure enough, it wasn't tight. So weird that it would affect the sound system but it does. Its probably just a drain/surge on the electrical system and the radio protects itself by cutting off.
Nice! Gotta love the easy fixes.

Quick Reply: UConnect 130/RES audio cutting out while driving