Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

U-Connect Without My Gig?

Old 11-20-2008, 08:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-Connect Without My Gig?

First of all, sorry as I'm sure this has been covered before but doing a search yielded way too many results. Is it possible to get a U-connect without having a My Gig unit? I have the base stereo and I'd like to install the u-connect if possible. If so, do I have to get it installed at the dealer or can a local stereo shop do it?

Thanks in advance.

J.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JulianK
First of all, sorry as I'm sure this has been covered before but doing a search yielded way too many results. Is it possible to get a U-connect without having a My Gig unit? I have the base stereo and I'd like to install the u-connect if possible. If so, do I have to get it installed at the dealer or can a local stereo shop do it?

Thanks in advance.

J.
This thread has part numbers - you need to check which radio you have first...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=u-connect%27
Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 AM
JK Super Freak

You can install the module yourself, it's very simple, takes maybe 30 mins tops. Then you'll need to have the dealer follow the directions and starscan it so your Jeep recognizes it.

I'd link you to my thread on it, with a detailed write up link, but the link was deleted because the person hosting it was banned here.

It's a great feature and if you like your iPod, get the optional iPod cable and control the iPod through the stereo head unit instead of having to plug it into the aux port and fumble with the iPod itself.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm in Ottawa and I have mine working.

I ordered the pieces off the net, installed them myself and then had the U-Connect activated at Capital Dodge.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The u-connect is for cell-phones right? Are there certain ones it works for? I would really love to have this!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Works great. It was one of the first mods I did. It should work with most bluetooth capable phones. I bought the Nitro kit and installed the mike next to the stereo.

If you've got an Ipod get the $25 ipod cable for it as well and you can run your ipod from the headunit.

I frequently don't hear the ring, or feel the vibration in the jeep, but it mutes the music and shows the phone # on the headunit.

Doesn't work too well with the doors off at highway speeds, but other than that has been pretty good.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oops. Almost forgot. You can install it yourself, it's fairly simple. But you will have to go to the dealer to get it enabled. They have to flash the computer to get the Jeep to recognize it.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow- my first electrical DIY Mod - This ones got me pumped. I am ordering first thing tomorrow!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
You can install the module yourself, it's very simple, takes maybe 30 mins tops. Then you'll need to have the dealer follow the directions and starscan it so your Jeep recognizes it.

I'd link you to my thread on it, with a detailed write up link, but the link was deleted because the person hosting it was banned here.

It's a great feature and if you like your iPod, get the optional iPod cable and control the iPod through the stereo head unit instead of having to plug it into the aux port and fumble with the iPod itself.

I'm in partial agreement. It was a snap to install. Took me about 45 minutes, and about half that time was sitting there trying to figure out where to stick the mic. Dealer took maybe an hour from the time I rolled uin to when I left. Charged me just over $50 CDN to activate the UConnect. Well worth it.

As for the iPod cable, I installed this too. I like it for the charging feature, but I find scrolling through a 120gb iPod that is full, using only the two line display on the head unit is a serious pain in my butt. usually I just use the aux port on the front of the deck. Still for $40, you might as well install it, just so you have it there.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Another feature of the Ipod cable that I just found this morning. You can use the radio preset buttons to quickly get to how you want to search for music. Don't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but 1-->artist, 2--> album, 3-->playlists, 4--> podcasts, etc...

Quick Reply: U-Connect Without My Gig?