Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Turning fog lights on with lo/hi beams??

Old 12-14-2013, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning fog lights on with lo/hi beams??

I know it is possible to jump the relay on other vehicles causing the fog lights to turn on automatically with the low beams, but on a 2013 jk with the canbus is there still a way to do this?

What about keeping the fog lights and low beams on while using the high beams?

I do most my driving during dark hours (long days at work) and have done this on all my previous vehicles but the jk is another story.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:06 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

The JK headlights and fog lights have no relays or fuses.

I think I have read about some of the programmers allowing the fogs to be on with the high beams.

Regarding the high and low beams being on at the same time...
The light harness has only one return wire from each light that is shared by both the high beam and low beam.
Having them both on may overload the one return wire, or cause the computer to shut off the light altogether.
Another thing to consider is the extra heat generated by having both filaments on at the same time. It may damage the bulb or the headlight fixture.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

That's what I was afraid of, thanks.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

My jeep did not have fog light from the factory but I installed a set of factory lights using the 12 volt from the side marker lights to activate a relay to power the fog lights. They work when the marker lights are on.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Well I have been looking into this a little more and trying to get an undersanding of the system as a whole.

My thought now is maybe I can tie the fog lights into the headlight harness via a relay directly powered from the battery. What made me think of this is the way HID or LED headlights are wired. Lets see if I can explain this...

If the headlights receive pulse width modulated power, a simple tap into the headlight wire for a switch leg to a relay wouldn't work. But if I use a capacitor at this wire it will take the flicker out. So what I will have is a dedicated run from the battery through a fuse block to the relay. The ground for the relay. Two wires from the headlight (1 from hi beam with a diode, and 1 from low beam with a diode) to the switch leg of the relay with a capacitor to provide a consistant power source. Then a wire from the relay to the fog lights.

This should allow the fog lights to turn on when the headlights are turned on without having to pull the switch out and allow them to stay on when the hi beams are on to illuminate directly infront of the jeep as well. Now that only makes me wonder if the canbus will see the extra power used to switch the relay and power the headlight causing the headlight to cut out.

Any thoughts on this or should I just throw the thought of doing this away completely?
Old 12-17-2013, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by remingtonJK
My jeep did not have fog light from the factory but I installed a set of factory lights using the 12 volt from the side marker lights to activate a relay to power the fog lights. They work when the marker lights are on.
That makes much more sense than what i just posted.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

Just make sure you grab the right parking wire if you're going to do it like that.....otherwise you'll have blinking fog lights That's certainly a much easier solution than the proposal you put forth above.

Quick question before you jump to this- does your state have inspections? Many do and the fog lights are supposed to turn off when the high beams come on. I would hate for you to wire this all up and then have to re-wire it for inspection time.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls
Just make sure you grab the right parking wire if you're going to do it like that.....otherwise you'll have blinking fog lights That's certainly a much easier solution than the proposal you put forth above.

Quick question before you jump to this- does your state have inspections? Many do and the fog lights are supposed to turn off when the high beams come on. I would hate for you to wire this all up and then have to re-wire it for inspection time.
No we do not have inspections here. Worse case I could put a switch in the line also so that I can turn them off if I ever move to a location like that.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know the ProCal can turn your fogs into DRLs. A coworker did this on his 2011 JK. Not sure about other model years. I'm also unsure if they go off when the high beams are on. I'm on vacation for the rest of the year, so I won't be able to ask him.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:53 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I know the ProCal can turn your fogs into DRLs. A coworker did this on his 2011 JK. Not sure about other model years. I'm also unsure if they go off when the high beams are on. I'm on vacation for the rest of the year, so I won't be able to ask him.
I had the fogs on as DRL for a while.

When you turn on the headlights, the fogs go out until the switch is activated. They will go out in high beam mode.

Quick Reply: Turning fog lights on with lo/hi beams??