Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Turn signal issues...Help

Old 12-17-2019, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal issues...Help

I have an 09 JK Sport, Last week, every time I used my turn signal to turn right, the light would blink fast. I determined that it was the front bulb, and I switched it out. The bulb would not illuminate, so I tried a third bulb to no avail. As the week progressed, it began to work intermittently ( turn signal), and then the left front started doing the same. Yesterday I replaced the multi-function switch ( signal Lever ), and the turn signals are still not working. I am praying that this is not a short as I have no working understanding of electricity Can anyone please advise?
Old 12-17-2019, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

So there's a few things that could be happening here. With the fast blink, the circuit is low on resistance...usually a bad bulb but you've already eliminated that. You can trace the harness further up the line and see if it's securely plugged in. I've replaced that entire harness from the box next to your battery all the way out to the driver's turn signal, not a bad job to do if you've got the patience and space. I paid right at $100 for the harness. Your other option would be to to Tidewater Auto Electric out on Virginia Beach Blvd and see if they can get you in. Usually you'll have to leave your vehicle there and you'll get a call the next day. They've been fair on pricing in the past when I used to live out that way.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Not working with good bulbs usually points to a bad ground.
Disconnect the harness from the socket and test for continuity from the ground pin to a bare metal point on the body.
If you don't get continuity, splice in a new ground wire. Pick a point on the black wire near the socket, and jump to a handy ground lug nearby.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys, Thanks you for your replies, I have used Tidewater in the past for a different vehicle, they are great. I want to try to eliminate everything that I can before I go that route. I have been on the computer all morning looking for a replacement harness and can not find one to save my life. I am going to try the ground fix this afternoon. I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited by cbellev; 12-17-2019 at 09:43 AM. Reason: edit
Old 12-17-2019, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Replacement harnesses are sourced on eBay. I'll see if I can dig up the part number. Somewhere at the house I've got the harness minus the passenger side headlight plug.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Here ya go

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F133262973719

Quick Reply: Turn signal issues...Help