Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

tuffy flip-n-lock stereo cover & tray

Old 07-05-2010, 12:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by H.I.I.K
I have one major question. does anybody know if this thing does or does not rattle when you turn the subs up? If it is quiet I'm sold but I can't stand rattles.
i don't have an insane aftermarket system or anything, but my tuffy cover doesn't make any sort of noise at all wether it be from bass, bumps, etc. the thing is solid. the only part i didn't care for was the fact that you have to mount the nav antenna on the outside of the tuffy cover. just looks odd.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pjay37
i don't have an insane aftermarket system or anything, but my tuffy cover doesn't make any sort of noise at all wether it be from bass, bumps, etc. the thing is solid. the only part i didn't care for was the fact that you have to mount the nav antenna on the outside of the tuffy cover. just looks odd.
Thank you for the response. I'm sure if you don't have any problems with rattles from speedbumps and trails then it shouldn't make any noise from bass. i just needed someone to tell me that it didn't rattle.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by H.I.I.K
Thank you for the response. I'm sure if you don't have any problems with rattles from speedbumps and trails then it shouldn't make any noise from bass. i just needed someone to tell me that it didn't rattle.
yea man, as long as you tighten everything down well when you're installing you shouldn't have any problems at all with rattling.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Default Tuffy Flip N Lock

This was one of the first things I installed in my new Rubi since I wanted to run with the top down so security was a big issue for me. The key got stuck one day but once I sprayed it with lubricant, it has worked great ever since.
I also installed the Tuffy Deck enclosure and soon I will get the Center console. I plan on running some more power outlets in the rear deck and some lights. I also drilled a couple more holes into it so I could modify a helmet net to fit onto the top of the deck for holding items down. Everything is working great with this setup so far.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tuffy,
Do you make a modified version to work with the Rock Hard roll cage?
Old 07-08-2010, 12:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GTIBOY05
I'm looking to buy a tuffy stereo cover and would like to buy it online. Is there a retailer in Canada? I've search but found nothing. Thanks.
did you try northridge canada??
Old 07-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by HolyMolyRacing
Tuffy,
Do you make a modified version to work with the Rock Hard roll cage?

We do not. No current plans that I know of for a modified version.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

Hate to threadjack but I'm having a problem getting this installed. It appears the top front face bend angle is wrong. First noticed it when assembling the flip-down lid, it wouldn't extend all the way. Loosened up the bolts but there isn't any play in them, unlike the top cover frame which I found out later...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Problem Tuffy 1..jpg
Views:	247
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	77840

Next, I installed the inner mount and top cover frame (Small sidebar - had to pull the stereo to get at the GPS antenna connected. It wasn't hard but not in the directions anywhere.), tried adjusting the bolts in various ways to bring the "join" together better but no luck. Even with the cover stowed, it still doesn't line up properly. That gap at the bottom is about 1/4"

Name:	problem tuffy 2..jpg
Views:	235
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	77839Click image for larger version

Name:	Problem Tuffy 4..jpg
Views:	231
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	77841

With the cover down, it will not lock, and does not cover the face very well, there are big gaps on the sides. Once again I spent a fair amount of time adjusting the top cover, the bolts allow roughly 1/8" of movement but there is simply not enough play to overcome what appears to be a bad bend angle on the top face.

Name:	problem tuffy 3..jpg
Views:	223
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	77838Click image for larger version

Name:	problem tuffy 5..jpg
Views:	229
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	77842

Going to contact Tuffy tomorrow and see what do about the problem.

Anyone else run into similar installation issues or have any helpful tips? Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Old 09-20-2010, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

I just installed mine yesterday. Installation was pretty straight forward. Took about 30 minutes. I noticed that the 2 factory bolts closest to the windshield Tuffy says to use to secure the base are no where to be found in my 2010. I ended up using some well nuts. They did the job, but I'm not sure how they would hold up if someone really wanted to pull the thing off the dash.

After installing it I have mixed feelings about it. I like the idea, but it's ugly as sin. I think it might be better if somehow it was made with a curve in it to replicate the original dash cover. I know it would have to be taller, but it would look better. I'm pulling mine off and will try to figure something else out.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

does anybody know if this will fit on an aftermarket double din? I have a kenwood dxp500bt.

Quick Reply: tuffy flip-n-lock stereo cover & tray