Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

tuffy flip-n-lock stereo cover & tray

Old 08-13-2008, 01:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

realistically, why would someone want to steal a stock stereo, whether it has been upgraded or not, its still an oem stock item at the end of the day?!?

all theft experiences i have ever heard of which involve the theft of stereos, have all been for aftermarket units as they are very very easy to shift as they will ultimately fit in any vehicle, rather than being tied to a single make/model and even in the mygig's case, bus speed?!

it just seems crazy to me and i do agree it is mega fugly! imho
Old 08-13-2008, 06:24 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by mmcan
Dear TUffy,

Do you have any pictures of what it looks like if some a$$ actually does try to break thru the MyGig protector??? I agree with the concern that was raised by a previous poster, altho a big gaping hole in the dash where the MyGig had been would look quite bad as well.

Thanks
I am not quite sure what type of picture you are looking for. Please clarify.

Thanks
Tuffy
Old 08-13-2008, 06:25 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by gonetoshoot
Does the metal tray mounted above the Mygig interfear with the GPS for the nav?
No it does not
Old 08-13-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Super Freak

let see some bigger pics of it installed with the lid up and stuff. those pics are really tiny and i can only zoom in do far on my mac before it looks like a cloud.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:39 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Offroadme
let see some bigger pics of it installed with the lid up and stuff. those pics are really tiny and i can only zoom in do far on my mac before it looks like a cloud.
If you click on the images from the Tuffy web site you can view them in a large format. Here is the link to that particular product:

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-234-1...over-tray.aspx

Thanks
Tuffy
Old 08-13-2008, 06:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rob4607
Am I the only one that thinks this looks like a@#? I have a mygi and am worried about it as well, but that thing BEGS people to nitice that you are trying to conceal something, and when they do try to get past it and they will, the damage will be way more than if it was just left stock. I used to be the guy to fix these for the dealerships. To all that get it good luck, I would just hope and hold out for a better design that is not so eye gouging. I can't believe that they haven't made something that looks like the the top cover that would snap over the whole front face area of the radio to make it look like there was not a radio option. Please don't take this as a mean or rude post but thing sticks out!
i have to say i love tuffy i think all there stuff is amazing i have the center console for my jeep and i don't know what i would do with out it. but it sort of does look like an eye soar. i don't know if i would want to be staring at that. maybe if it was painted a different color or something, but im not so sure im really worried about someone stealing the unit. thats what i pay insurance for. if someone wants it take it. i know that the majority of people who break into your car to take something and they can't get it out get pissed and do something else to your car or suv that just causes you grief. Like knifing the seats or in our case could just slice the soft top up just cause they were pissed they could not get the radio out.

im not bashing it at all. i think for some people it could be something they use quite often. Tuffy has always been a great group trying to stay ahead of the game with security and they do a great job.

now im just bored and ranting. sorry for the long post
Old 08-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Maybe the pictures aren't doing the product justice, but it actually looks pretty good installed in the JK. I drove our JK all week at the All-4-Fun event in Leadville and received positive comments from all who saw the Flip-N-Lock cover. It is powder coated with a custom matched color to match the JK interior. Having the extra storage tray on the dash was also extremely convenient as I always seem to carry too many small things that need a place to sit in the Jeep.

As far as security, the cover closes flush to the dash leaving no room to grab it and try to pry open. Once the cover is closed, it matches well enough that it is hard to differentiate it from the dash when looking in the window from the outside. It is also constructed of 16 gauge steel so it won't be easily defeated. Of course, if someone is dead set on getting it out of the way and has plenty of time they will do so. FBI statistics show that on average if someone can't get in and out of the vehicle in 7 minutes they move on. $99 seems like cheap insurance to protect a $1300-$1500 investment. Since the MyGig unit is not very difficult to uninstall and install, there is and will continue to be a black market for stolen units. There are a lot of vehicle owners out there that don't have the MyGig option installed but would probably pick one up if they could get one cheap enough.

We don't expect everyone to think that this is the greatest product ever invented and accept the criticisms posted so far, but for some people this product will provide the security and convenience they are seeking.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by x5tuu
realistically, why would someone want to steal a stock stereo, whether it has been upgraded or not, its still an oem stock item at the end of the day?!?

all theft experiences i have ever heard of which involve the theft of stereos, have all been for aftermarket units as they are very very easy to shift as they will ultimately fit in any vehicle, rather than being tied to a single make/model and even in the mygig's case, bus speed?!

it just seems crazy to me and i do agree it is mega fugly! imho
I'm with you, theft of stock systems is not common. The people stealing stereos know what they are looking for and the MyGig is so common now, they know it's stock. I've been driving around for 2 months with no doors, I leave nothing but a few off road books in the Jeep and leave everything unlocked, so if anyone were to look for something, they would not find it and move on. I'm no stranger to theft from a Jeep, my YJ had the stereo stolen once and on a seperate incident, had speakers stolen, but both were of aftermarket products.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:16 AM
JK Super Freak

well some better pictures of it might give me a better view. the other ones are wayy to small for me to be making a 100% opinion
Old 08-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Offroadme
well some better pictures of it might give me a better view. the other ones are wayy to small for me to be making a 100% opinion

If you click on the images at the Tuffy web site they will show as a large version. Here are a couple.

Quick Reply: tuffy flip-n-lock stereo cover & tray