Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

tuffy flip-n-lock stereo cover & tray

Old 08-11-2008, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuffy flip-n-lock stereo cover & tray

hi all!

i've installed and tested the tuffy flip-n-lock stereo cover and tray & i must say it works very well! (btw, i was the winner of tuffy's tester drawing)

1) the unit is sturdy and definitely provides concealment of the mygig unit.

2) it is very easy to install!!! no drilling, no major modifications to the factory dash, very straight-forward instructions.

3) tuffy provides all the necessary hardware and brackets for mounting. all you provide are the tools for installation.

4) for those with the nav feature, tuffy designed the frame to accomodate the box which is affixed to the underside of the factory dash cover. they state that your compass may need to be re-calibrated, however, that was not necessary in my case.

5) the tuffy flip-n-fold door slides out from under the tray and completely covers the mygig unit. in fact, at night i closed the door over the mygig while the mygig was on & i could not see any trace of light from the mygig around the edges of the door. keep in mind, this does NOT mean the flip-n-fold waterproofs the mygig, however, it does provide a good seal around it.

6) my particular unit is powder-coated dark slate, which matches the interior of my jeep. i don't know if other colors will be available. i would suggest, though, that anyone utilizing the tray for metal objects or anything that can scratch powder-coating, use a liner of some sort on it to prevent marring the finish. i had some grip liner (used as shelf liner) which is non-adhesive & cushioned in black so i just cut it to size & placed it in the tray. it also keeps some things from sliding around in the tray. it's available just about everywhere.

7) it is packaged REALLY well for shipment, so none of the parts scratch each other.

if anyone has questions, ask away & i'll try to answer them.

i have pictures of the flip-n-fold installation in my.project-jk.com album. i will try to link it but if it doesn't work, let me know & i will try again. btw, i'm not the greatest photographer so.........

here's the link:

http://my.project-jk.com/showgallery...&catp=necgerum

cheers!
Old 08-11-2008, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info. I just ordered mine on Saturday so I should have it by the end of the month.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Now I can finally get a mygig....or avic.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Yowch! Tuffy is a bit proud of their products, but they have some great ideas.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
Yowch! Tuffy is a bit proud of their products, but they have some great ideas.
Worth every penny.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by seer1
Worth every penny.
I agree, I think they are well worth it for what you get. I have the full center console and mygig cover on my wish list
Old 08-12-2008, 10:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for all the pics. Should get mine soon hopefully
Old 08-12-2008, 02:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Dear TUffy,

Do you have any pictures of what it looks like if some a$$ actually does try to break thru the MyGig protector??? I agree with the concern that was raised by a previous poster, altho a big gaping hole in the dash where the MyGig had been would look quite bad as well.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2008, 11:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much are these going for?
Old 08-13-2008, 12:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by marlettx

4) for those with the nav feature, tuffy designed the frame to accomodate the box which is affixed to the underside of the factory dash cover. they state that your compass may need to be re-calibrated, however, that was not necessary in my case.
Does the metal tray mounted above the Mygig interfear with the GPS for the nav?

Quick Reply: tuffy flip-n-lock stereo cover & tray