Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Truck Lite Issue

Old 12-05-2013, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im going with this is a power issue. Alternator output, battery cell low on juice, too many accessories wired into the same circuit.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are all possibilities. But explain to me why tugging on the harness or tapping on the housing stops it? We are not talking about flicker either, the light is cutting all the way out and almost looks like a strobe light.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DKJEEP
These are all possibilities. But explain to me why tugging on the harness or tapping on the housing stops it? We are not talking about flicker either, the light is cutting all the way out and almost looks like a strobe light.
For your specific issue; its a short. something, somewhere, is loose, broken, bent, and causing an arc. Your anti-flicker harness may be the issue, or it may be internally in the headlight.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No anti flicker harness here but my drivers side light turns off every now and again, I just zip tied the harness up and it fixed the problem
Old 12-05-2013, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kent.Rowell
the way to fix the flicker is to wire them on a relay directly to the battery

I had to do this on HIDs for a lot of Chrysler products
And for HID's I would for sure be doing that because they consume more power. But these are LEDs and shouldn't need that additional power.

Originally Posted by DKJEEP
Yeah that totally explains getting out of the vehicle while it is doing it and tapping on the housing to have it stop it. Makes perfect sense.
Keep in mind, I only did that once, I haven't tried to duplicate smacking the light.

Originally Posted by TheEngineer13
Im going with this is a power issue. Alternator output, battery cell low on juice, too many accessories wired into the same circuit.
The only things that are on this circuit are the headlights. I have nothing else hooked up to them.

And the only other things I have in the Jeep are an aftermarket radio, and the remote start which the constant power is wired off off 8 gauge power wire directly coming from the battery.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=ahfunaki;3777293

The only things that are on this circuit are the headlights. I have nothing else hooked up to them.

And the only other things I have in the Jeep are an aftermarket radio, and the remote start which the constant power is wired off off 8 gauge power wire directly coming from the battery.[/QUOTE]

Is the remote start hooked into the lighting system at all? maybe a vampire tap in a lead?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheEngineer13
Is the remote start hooked into the lighting system at all? maybe a vampire tap in a lead?
Only to the parking lights, nothing to the headlights.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:21 PM
JK Freak

I have personally tapped the light housing and had the light turn on. Everything points to a bad connection somewhere.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Pull the fuse for the RECENTLY added remote start are see if it affects the lights in any way. If the problem goes away then you have your answer. Maybe when they put it in the tagged off the wire for some reason? to activate lights? Maybe that is the issue.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PUSHNF8
Pull the fuse for the RECENTLY added remote start are see if it affects the lights in any way. If the problem goes away then you have your answer. Maybe when they put it in the tagged off the wire for some reason? to activate lights? Maybe that is the issue.
Yea, I'll have to give it a try. If it does fix the issue that isn't a good thing though, lol...

And I actually did the install myself ( it's what I do for a living ) so I know that the headlights weren't tapped into at all.

Quick Reply: Truck Lite Issue