Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Truck Lite Issue

Old 12-03-2013, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Lite Issue

So I've had my Truck Lites for a while now and I'm a huge fan of them. They are much much better than the stock headlights that come on the JK.

But about a week ago I was running the headlights in the daytime ( it was raining ) and I pulled up to my garage and noticed the drivers headlight wasn't on. So I get out and look and I can see the LED flickering inside the housing. I smacked the housing and it turned on fully. At this point I assumed it was a loose connection, so I checked but everything was good. I am using the anti-flicker harnesses by the way.

So I assumed it was a random issue. Well as I'm driving at night I start having issues where a headlight will flash off, but if I flash the high beams or turn the headlights on and off a few times I will get it to kick back on. It basically acts like it's an HID ballast that doesn't want to ignite ( and the funny thing is I went with LED lights so I didn't have to deal with the issues HID's can often have with reliability ). And if I put my high beams on they will both dim drastically sometimes. There is a lot of goofy stuff going on with my headlights.

Here is the weird thing. Right before I started having this issue I installed a remote start/alarm, which relies on the data system in the vehicle to operate ( immobilizer bypass, locks, door pin status, etc... are all run by data from the remote start/bypass module ).

Is adding this additional stuff to the jeep that runs over the data system causing my problem here? Is it potentially "clogging" up the bandwidth or something that the headlights use to function properly? I tested the headlights both with using the remote start and without using it and I have issues either way. I guess I could disconnect the remote start to see if that is the issue, but I'd like to hear what others think before I end up doing that.

I recorded a very blurry video of the issue. The first part of the video is showing me turning the headlights on and off multiple times ( the passenger light wouldn't turn on ) before I was able to get both headlights to turn on. And the second part is the LED flickering.

Any input would be great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jprMB72FHU&feature=em-upload_owner
Old 12-03-2013, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the anti flicker harness on my trucklites as well, and have had an issue with flickering and one shutting off while I was on the freeway. It turns out it was a bad connection and i fixed it with some zip ties and electrical tape. I'm not sure if this helps much but I'd double check your connections and if they're good, give a vendor a call that is familiar with them
Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seanb33
I have the anti flicker harness on my trucklites as well, and have had an issue with flickering and one shutting off while I was on the freeway. It turns out it was a bad connection and i fixed it with some zip ties and electrical tape. I'm not sure if this helps much but I'd double check your connections and if they're good, give a vendor a call that is familiar with them
Interesting. I did check the connectors and everything was good. I'll double check them though.

What's weird to me about it is the first time I had the issue it was on the drivers side, and in the video I posted it's on the passenger side. The odds of both connectors being loose at the same time I think are pretty slim.

Also I'm having issues with the high beams dimming after activation as well, which leads me to believe it's not a connection issue.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ahfunaki
Interesting. I did check the connectors and everything was good. I'll double check them though.

What's weird to me about it is the first time I had the issue it was on the drivers side, and in the video I posted it's on the passenger side.

Also I'm having issues with the high beams dimming after activation as well, which leads me to believe it's not a connection issue.
Hmmm... For me it was the passenger side. My brother broke the plug from the jeep to the harness when helping my install so that was my main problem. And one of my connectors inside the plug from the harness to the headlight had slipped out a little bit and I believe that was another cause of my issue. No issues since, but I was told to flip the anti flicker harness around (left to right, right to left) and see if the issue is In the harness or something else. Rebel offroad was really helpful
Old 12-04-2013, 08:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alright so tonight I drove for over 2 hours ( 1 hour each way ) solid with my low beams on, and never had an issue with them.

As soon as I would turn my high beams on that's when the problems started. So once I got home I recorded another video of what is happening.

As you can see the low beams are fine, as soon as I flip the high beams on the passenger side turns on and off then starts to flicker. So strange...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6TOwbtgjdk&feature

Last edited by ahfunaki; 12-04-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:26 PM
JK Freak

My passenger side light is doing the exact same thing. I get out and tapped the housing and it acts right for a while. I then open the hood while it is doing it and shake the wires and it fixes it. I cant tell where it is coming from as I have tried to bend the wires in all sorts of directions at every end of the harness all the way into the housings themselves and can not duplicate it. All I can say is that messing with the wires fixes it. I unhooked everything and checked the connections very well and it has not done it again yet.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

Stating the obvious here, but for the money, they ought to work seamlessly and provide light like nothing else made.

I hope you guys don't have anymore issues.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

the way to fix the flicker is to wire them on a relay directly to the battery

I had to do this on HIDs for a lot of Chrysler products
Old 12-05-2013, 01:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Kent.Rowell
the way to fix the flicker is to wire them on a relay directly to the battery

I had to do this on HIDs for a lot of Chrysler products
Yeah that totally explains getting out of the vehicle while it is doing it and tapping on the housing to have it stop it. Makes perfect sense.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

for everybody else, it is a issue of not getting enough power through the CAN BUS system

for you DKJEEP it could be a short in the light(from not getting enough power)

I learned years ago that not enough power will short something quicker than to much

Quick Reply: Truck Lite Issue