Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Trouble downgrading from 730N to 430N

Old 05-09-2013, 02:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble downgrading from 730N to 430N

Sorry for the long post guys, but I think I need to supply all this information in the hope of getting some answers.

I have a 2012 JK that came with the 730N navigation system. I am not happy with the way the navigation works so I decided to “downgrade” to a 430N navigation system. The 730N has Uconnect built in, the 430N does not. I bought a used 430N with warrantee and a Uconnect kit to work with it. The Uconnect kit included simple instructions that end with some information about having a dealer flash the JK so the Uconnect will start to work.

I did the install myself, very easy to do. I called a local dealer about the flash, the service advisor said no problem. He even said he pulled up the configuration for the VIN number I gave him and supposedly made the necessary changes while I was on the phone with him. I then went to the dealer to have them flash the JK so the Uconnect would work. They tried to almost four hours to flash the JK with no luck. They first tried to tell me there is no microphone. Next they tried to tell me I have the wrong module. They even tried to tell me the uconnect is built in to the 430N and they need to remove the external Uconnect module. I called the place I bought the parts from and they conformed I have all the correct parts and they are installed correctly. After that the dealer sent a request for tech support and has heard nothing back after two days.

As far as I understand the process the dealer has to go through it should be an easy process. The dealer needs to get to the vehicle configuration on the DealerConnect website and make the changes. I believe the changes are as follows:

Remove the 730N (RHR) from the configuration.
Add the 430N (RHB) to the configuration.
Add the Uconnect (RSP) to the configuration.
Save the configuration.
Using the StarScan tool, download the new configuration from the DealerConnect web site and flash the JK with the update and confirm the flash was successful.

Can anyone confirm this is correct or tell me what else needs to be done?

Does anyone know of a dealer in the Houston area that has experience doing this or something similar?

Thanks for the input on this.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I actually thought the 430N did have the uconnect built in.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CoreyZ
I actually thought the 430N did have the uconnect built in.
The 730N has the Uconnect built. The 430N uses an external module. I think the 730N is the only one with it built in.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's good info to know, I thought they all used external modules. BTW, I'd be interested in that RHR if you decide to part with it.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I see that you have this thread in a couple of forums. I answered in the other one and it seems that you need a better tech for the flashing of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Don-T
Sorry for the long post guys, but I think I need to supply all this information in the hope of getting some answers.

I have a 2012 JK that came with the 730N navigation system. I am not happy with the way the navigation works so I decided to “downgrade” to a 430N navigation system. The 730N has Uconnect built in, the 430N does not. I bought a used 430N with warrantee and a Uconnect kit to work with it. The Uconnect kit included simple instructions that end with some information about having a dealer flash the JK so the Uconnect will start to work.

I did the install myself, very easy to do. I called a local dealer about the flash, the service advisor said no problem. He even said he pulled up the configuration for the VIN number I gave him and supposedly made the necessary changes while I was on the phone with him. I then went to the dealer to have them flash the JK so the Uconnect would work. They tried to almost four hours to flash the JK with no luck. They first tried to tell me there is no microphone. Next they tried to tell me I have the wrong module. They even tried to tell me the uconnect is built in to the 430N and they need to remove the external Uconnect module. I called the place I bought the parts from and they conformed I have all the correct parts and they are installed correctly. After that the dealer sent a request for tech support and has heard nothing back after two days.

As far as I understand the process the dealer has to go through it should be an easy process. The dealer needs to get to the vehicle configuration on the DealerConnect website and make the changes. I believe the changes are as follows:

Remove the 730N (RHR) from the configuration.
Add the 430N (RHB) to the configuration.
Add the Uconnect (RSP) to the configuration.
Save the configuration.
Using the StarScan tool, download the new configuration from the DealerConnect web site and flash the JK with the update and confirm the flash was successful.

Can anyone confirm this is correct or tell me what else needs to be done?

Does anyone know of a dealer in the Houston area that has experience doing this or something similar?

Thanks for the input on this.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by xsdbs
I see that you have this thread in a couple of forums. I answered in the other one and it seems that you need a better tech for the flashing of the vehicle.
I posted on the other site first but I wasn't getting any real help so I posted here and a third site. Shortly after, you started answering my original post. I guess that's what I get for not being patient.

By the way, I have talked to another dealer since you helped me, and explained the situation to them. They told me to bring the jeep to them Monday afternoon. They think they can get it working. I will post the results.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great, please let us know how it turns out, ok.

Originally Posted by Don-T
I posted on the other site first but I wasn't getting any real help so I posted here and a third site. Shortly after, you started answering my original post. I guess that's what I get for not being patient.

By the way, I have talked to another dealer since you helped me, and explained the situation to them. They told me to bring the jeep to them Monday afternoon. They think they can get it working. I will post the results.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by xsdbs
Great, please let us know how it turns out, ok.
I posted this on the other site too.

Good news, it works now! The tech did what I understood he should do, thanks to your, and others, help. He removed the RHR from the network and added the RHB and RSP. At first it seemed to not take but after a few minutes the Uconnect came on and so far works as expected. The tech said the first dealer changed the configuration but did not enable the Uconnect module. The answer is, yes you can "downgrade" from the RHR (730N) to the RHB (430N). I suspect this means you can replace any of the systems with another one as long as the part was an option.

The next concern I have is, can the original microphone be made to work with the new Uconnect module so I don't have to have the add-on microphone?

I don't care for the new color scheme either on the Garmin interface. I have a hard time seeing any or the daylight options. I can see the night time versions fine but that means changing the brightness in the dark because it is too bright. Can I change the software back to the latest version that has the familiar Garmin color scheme? If I can, what version number would that be?

Thanks to all of you for all the help.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Which module did you get with your setup?

I need the module and want to ensure I get the right part number. Thanks
Old 05-17-2013, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

PN's 68104904AB (2012 V1), 68104904AC (2012 V2) and 05091960AA (2013) all are High Speed CAN BUS modules and will work.

Originally Posted by bobberdown
Which module did you get with your setup?

I need the module and want to ensure I get the right part number. Thanks

Quick Reply: Trouble downgrading from 730N to 430N