Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Towing wiring harness and reciever hitch

Old 06-19-2007 | 09:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing wiring harness and reciever hitch

hey i am looking at the quadratec catalog and found some reciever hitches that i am looking to purchase. there is the hidden hitch draw tite and the reese. which one is the best??? Which wiring harness do i need to install this. I have read in some other threads that the hitch itself is pretty easy to install. i am not electricaly inclinded at all so any help will greatly appreciated. Andrew
Old 07-17-2007 | 10:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone of the hitches listed on Quadratec for a 2007 JK will work and should take you at most 20 minutes to bolt on.
As for the wiring harness, unless you are going to be towing a heavy trailer/boat or whatever that requires electric brakes, in which case you will need the 7 pin connector, pick up a 4 pin connector. Any Jeep dealer should have one in stock and should cost no more than $40.00. The 4 pin harness is a plug and play. Simply remove your rear drivers side tail light. unplug the connector. Install the harness connector to the plug you removed from the tail light, and plug in the tail light back into the other plug on the harness. Remove the rubber piece on the bottom of the rear body panel below the tail light. Fish the harness through and route to the receiver hitch. Reinstall the rubber, then reinstall your tail light. You can have it done in the time it took me to type this.
Old 07-17-2007 | 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

I bought my hitch and harness from Jeepline.com. Hitch was $99.00 and harness was $22.50. Took 15 minutes total to install both.

http://www.jeepline.com/store/defaul...entID=27979252

The hitch sticks out about 4" more than the stock one but with a spare tire on it isn't an issue. Just when you have the tail gate open and are putting stuff in the back you have a chance of hitting your shin on it.
Old 07-18-2007 | 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

thanks I got my hitch in the mail today gonna put it on tommorrow and heading to the beach. the main reason i wanted a hitch was to put one of those reciever hitch cargo trays to put the ice chest and stuff. thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Towing wiring harness and reciever hitch