Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Towing harness issues

Old 04-29-2021, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing harness issues

2012 JK Unlimited. Tow package option when purchased new, 4 pin connection. Added the mopar 7 pin harness recently, I did not remove the 4 pin.

Added a redarc brake controller elite Pro I believe is the name of it. No trailer yet, picking up in one month and don't want issues bringing back as it's 700 miles away.

Tested using a Curt 7 pin tester and got weird results. Back up lights good, headlights/tailights good. Left turn signal good, right turn signal nothing. Brakes Left turn signal solid light, not the brakes light.

I assume if I hooked up the trailer(not available yet) same results.

Suggested from Curt that maybe my Jeeps computer needs to be flashed for a 7 vs. 4 pin. I'm pretty certain that I have properly wired the harness and the brake controller, it wasn't difficult.

I'm hoping that someone towing with a Jeep has some info to offer. Dealerships, clueless. Mopar, unreacheable. Kind of out of options.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Is there a wire going from the brake controller through the firewall, to the battery?
Old 04-30-2021, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Is there a wire going from the brake controller through the firewall, to the battery?
yes, the harness installed had a blue wire that ran through the firewall to the brake controller and going the opposite way the power wire to the battery for the controller. In addition to power wire of the harness itself.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Did you ever figure this out? Was it just a faulty tester or did you need to reprogram something. I wouldn't think you would need reprogramming.

Quick Reply: Towing harness issues