Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Too much to battery?

Old 08-05-2012, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much to battery?

I'm getting ready to wire up a few sets of lights and was wondering if the lights I have will be too much. I'm going to wire up a set of rigid D2s and Duallys and a 20" led bar and rock lights. Would this be ok just wired to the battery?

Last edited by Moochie; 08-05-2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Blacklisted manufacturer
Old 08-05-2012, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

its all about keeping up w/ the current (aka amp) drawl...

the battery is really only used ot BALANCE the current and start the jeep (think of it as a fuel tank)....
the ALTERNATOR keeps the battery charges and recharges the battery (or refills the tank in this case) as its drained.

if your current drawer exceeds the output of the alternator youll eventually end up w/ a dead battery

a good volt meter will report the voltage output of the alternator (when the jeep is running)...if you see the voltage (charge level) fall below 12v then you know that the battery is being drained and the alternator cant recharge enough to keep the batter "full" or recharged.

a PLUG IN VOLTMETER like this CYBERDYNE Plug-In - plugged into the power outlet will tell you the voltage/charge level of the battery (when the jeep is NOT running) and it will tell you the voltage output of the alternator when the jeep IS RUNNING.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Riptide
One of the greatest qualities of LED lights is they have almost no draw. A couple Dulleys and a bar will barely use anything - am just guessing, but I'd say less than 10amps all combined.

Find out the alternator that your JK has (07 had 160amps IIRC). I think the 12s have 120 for some reason. But check on that. People say that standard jeep systems use around 60/80 amps. Which leaves you with ~40+ amps before you need a larger alternator.
Agree. The Led's use little current. You will be fine
Old 08-05-2012, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As a point of reference, a D2 draws approx 2.3 amps (28 watts). Rigid website says it's a bit less than that, but that's their marketing dept posting the best possible test results.

Last edited by Rule18; 08-05-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good I just wanted to make sure that I'm not going to kill my battery after a week or so. Do a lot of you guys run them to some kind if fuse box or just right to battery?
Old 08-05-2012, 10:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jchmelojk
Good I just wanted to make sure that I'm not going to kill my battery after a week or so. Do a lot of you guys run them to some kind if fuse box or just right to battery?
An auxiliary load center (breaker or fuse box) is a good plan. Marine stores have some nice ones. Makes for cleaner and better organized wiring and can be used for other accessories as well.

X2 on the alternator. The alternator is your power source unless you draw more power than it can produce - like when winching. Otherwise the battery just sits there until you need to start the Jeep.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome thanks guys. Are a lot of you running that marine switch boxes? Anyone have any pics?
Old 08-06-2012, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone with pics of his they used a marine grade fuse box?

Quick Reply: Too much to battery?