Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

TIPM / P0882 Code problems / LimpMode Help Needed

Old 08-29-2020, 09:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TIPM / P0882 Code problems / LimpMode Help Needed

I have a 2007 Wrangler X that continues to throw the P0882 - Low Power to the TCM code and stay n LimpMode. I have been trying to trouble shoot the issue for a while now. In addition to disconnecting and reconnecting all the plugs to the PCM, TIPM, wiring harness and connections at the transmission (which did not solve the problem), I have tried a replacement PCM (no help) and I had the TIPM rebuilt.

The TIPM re-builder replaced all the relays on the board, reconfigured the TIPM and then ran it both on a test machine and in a test vehicle. They said it worked fine and sent it back. I re-installed the TIPM and still had the P0882 Code and LimpMode. I took the jeep to Auto Electrical Service in Nashville to have them figure out if it was a wiring harness issue or some other short. $150 later and they said it was the TIPM and recommended a new one. They said they could get the relay to work, but the TIPM was not putting out the 3 volts needed. After telling them the TIPM had recently been rebuilt (to which they scoffed), I sent the TIPM back to the re-builder to have them look at it again. They went back through it and rechecked it all again (shipping, etc on their nickel) and sent it back with a clean bill of health. And guess what, still have the code.

I now need to go back to AES and get them to check again. What I really want to do first is put this TIPM in another jeep and make sure it works. If it runs fine in another wrangler, then I can tell AES for certain the TIPM is working fine and please find the problem that I already paid them to find.

So, is there anyone in the Nashville TN area willing to let me put my TIPM in their Jeep to make sure it really works? I know it is a lot to ask and you don't know me from Adam, but if you are willing, it would be a huge help for me to know for certain that the TIPM is working.

And I TOTALLY understand if no one offers their Jeep.

Briggs
Old 09-16-2020, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

SO I took the Jeep back to AES and they looked it over again. This time their scanner could talk to the TIPM and control the relays, etc. More trouble shouting later, the found where the retainer for one of the pins in one of the main harness connectors had broken so the pin was pushing out instead of going into its receptacle. When apart, the wire would push the pin back in place so it was not visually obvious. The moved the pin and it's corresponding receptacle to an empty slot in the connector and all is fixed. No P0882 code. No Limp Mode.

I am still kind of irked I was not able to diagnose what turned out to be a relatively simple problem. However, I am very happy the truck drives normal again.

Now for my P0430 catalytic efficiency Bank 2 code.....
The following users liked this post:
MikeInMiami (09-18-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by snaveba
SO I took the Jeep back to AES and they looked it over again. This time their scanner could talk to the TIPM and control the relays, etc. More trouble shouting later, the found where the retainer for one of the pins in one of the main harness connectors had broken so the pin was pushing out instead of going into its receptacle. When apart, the wire would push the pin back in place so it was not visually obvious. The moved the pin and it's corresponding receptacle to an empty slot in the connector and all is fixed. No P0882 code. No Limp Mode.

I am still kind of irked I was not able to diagnose what turned out to be a relatively simple problem. However, I am very happy the truck drives normal again.

Now for my P0430 catalytic efficiency Bank 2 code.....

I had the same issue with the pin in the TIPM for the p0882 issue.... dealer fixed it, so far so good, no other codes... crazy code....
The following users liked this post:
BeachedJKU (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting this. P0882 code here and no luck clearing it. Can you elaborate on which pin in the TIPM? Would greatly appreciate the help. 2010 JKU Thanks

Quick Reply: TIPM / P0882 Code problems / LimpMode Help Needed