Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Throttle Position Sensor / Accelerator Position Sensor

Old 03-31-2022, 02:39 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Throttle Position Sensor / Accelerator Position Sensor

I've been having an intermittent DTC for some time (P2138). In fact, there's another thread on here somewhere about it. Anyway, the issue went away for quite some time (several years), and had reappeared for some reason.

2010 JKU Rubicon

There appears to be numerous ideas about the problem, with suggestions on making the DTC go away for good:

- Replace the Throttle Position Sensor (which, basically, means replacing the throttle body)
- Replace the Accelerator Position Sensor (the accelerator pedal)
- Do both
- Replace the connectors for both devices

Right now, I'm inclined to replacing both the Throttle Body and the Accelerator Pedal, and both connectors (the connectors are going to be the difficult task), however I remember reading that if those devices (throttle body and accelerator pedal) are replaced, a visit to the dealer is in the future so that the vehicle can "re-learn" the device parameters. Can anyone verify this? I'd assume that post replacement, the Jeep would automatically go into "limp mode", which might get me to a dealer.

Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

I would ring out wires first and check connections before throwing parts at it. Wiring diagrams will cost you a fraction of the cost on CD and will steer you in the right direction.
Old 03-31-2022, 03:10 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
I would ring out wires first and check connections before throwing parts at it. Wiring diagrams will cost you a fraction of the cost on CD and will steer you in the right direction.
To do that would require opening multiple connectors, two of which are the connectors for the throttle body and the accelerator pedal. Additionally, I have no idea if power needs to be applied to the circuits, in order to determine opens, shorts, resistive values. The problem is intermittent. Most of the time, the trouble-light will come on - I look for a place to pull over - I turn the engine off and wait 10 seconds - then turn the engine on again and am on my way. Do you have any idea if the replacement of these components does generate a visit to the dealer?
Old 03-31-2022, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

You can disconnect the battery first, follow the wiring diagrams through by simply unplugging at pedal and TB then ring them through with ohm meter with audible ringer to indicate continuity. You won't hurt anything. No need for power. Just make sure it is all plugged back in before reconnecting battery. If there is a problem then you have to go to the middle harness connections to isolate any issue.

Quick Reply: Throttle Position Sensor / Accelerator Position Sensor