Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Those with Lockpick and Back-up Camera.....help ----->

Old 01-26-2012, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, thanks for the follow-up. Sounds like this 'might' be a resolution. I say 'might' b/c I really need to maintain the manual view option b/c I like to check out my trailer while towing.

Since I don't have the lockpick in front of me, can you explain where the red/white and yellow/blk wires that get spliced into are coming/going? Is this somehow allowing the video feed to bypass the lockpick?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Ya that's exactly it. It bypasses the lockpick. Once you see the pictures, you'll understand. I too, do a lot of towing in the summer. I might try some other things later and see if I can get it to work. I'll keep you updated.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

That's funny. Carlos swore up and down that the lockpick does not have any influence on the video image. Guess that's not the case.

Any idea why you no longer have the manual image option?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bryan H
That's funny. Carlos swore up and down that the lockpick does not have any influence on the video image. Guess that's not the case.

Any idea why you no longer have the manual image option?
Ya, I think they may have just figured it out. I think I'm losing the manual image because I'm bypassing the lockpick. I may try splicing it into both sides. (one side to lockpick and one to radio).
Old 02-04-2012, 04:20 AM
JK Newbie

So, just yesterday I started having an issue. I made a call through unconnect and when I hung up, my rear camera was active???? It seems to randomly come on now. If I try to select it manually, it won't. Guess I'll be calling coasttech again. Anyone else have any issue like this?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

any luck? I'm having similar issues.... I spoke with the infamous Carlos also and he told me about the "splice" trick, except on my v4 it is the green and green/black wires.

I didn't splice it and then all of a sudden, it started working.... for 1 day, and then nothing again :(

If I connect the camera to the other camera inputs it works no problem. If I connect video from a dvd player to the reverse camera it works!!!... what gives!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Mike, I get the random camera image occasionally (and I haven't done the splice). If I quickly push the power button a few times, it will eventually go away. Definitely a glitch with the Chr550.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just checking to see if anyone has come up with a solution to the dim auto activated backup camera. I just took delivery of my 2012 JKU Rubi and I installed the CHR550 with a Metra Third Eye backup camera. I am having the same issue. When the camera is activated by putting the Jeep in reverse, the image is dim. If I select the backup camera via the stereo, the image is bright and a lot clearer. I too like to view my trailer while traveling, so the splice is out. I am also having difficulty being able to view videos from my iPhone 4S. I guess I will be calling Coastal Tec tomorrow. Maybe if enough people complain about it, they might realize there is a problem with the CHR550 and do something about it. I will update everyone tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does the NavTV brand have the same problems as CoastTech?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

So I tried spicing it into the both ends of the RCA wire. And it was back to the old problem of going dim in reverse. So I managed to trace it down to the grounding of the RCA wires! If they're not grounded properly, the image goes dim. Can't figure out how to ground and splice into the wire yet. Got dark and the mrs had a list of chores I wasn't doing. I'll try back at it tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Those with Lockpick and Back-up Camera.....help ----->