Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Third Brake Light (CHMSL) Not Working

Old 05-28-2015, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Third Brake Light (CHMSL) Not Working

My chmsl stopped working, but both brake lights work, turn signals, etc. Decided to replace the entire chmsl with a spare tire center cap LED from Hyline offroad. Cut the OEM chmsl connector and connected the Hyline LED and it doesn't work either. Ideas? Is there a separate fuse controlling just the chmsl that may be bad. I've searched for answers and came up empty. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ezndo
My chmsl stopped working, but both brake lights work, turn signals, etc. Decided to replace the entire chmsl with a spare tire center cap LED from Hyline offroad. Cut the OEM chmsl connector and connected the Hyline LED and it doesn't work either. Ideas? Is there a separate fuse controlling just the chmsl that may be bad. I've searched for answers and came up empty. Thanks for any help.
There is a separate fuse under the hood if i remember correctly. Not sure which one it is though. I was popping them left and right for a bit
Old 05-28-2015, 01:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

M1 I think.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie

I'll check that first tomorrow am, thanks!
Old 05-28-2015, 03:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Yes, M1 is for the CHMSL.

If M1 is blown, the regular brake lights will still work when the ignition switch ON.
If M1 is blown, the regular brake lights will not work when the ignition switch OFF.

A bad brake pedal switch, (bad, loose mounting, out of adjustment), can cause the same symptoms.

A while back, someone had a non-illuminating CHMSL and it was a loose splice somewhere between the switch and the CHMSL.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx

If M1 is blown, the regular brake lights will still work when the ignition switch ON.
If M1 is blown, the regular brake lights will not work when the ignition switch OFF.

A bad brake pedal switch, (bad, loose mounting, out of adjustment), can cause the same symptoms.

A while back, someone had a non-illuminating CHMSL and it was a loose splice somewhere between the switch and the CHMSL.
Well there ya go, ezndo, makes it a lot easier. Glad you chimed in, Ron. Your knowledge never ceases to amaze me.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

With this info, I couldn't wait till the am.

So I pulled M1 fuse, it looked OK, and swapped in a verified working 15A fuse.

Still no brake lights or chmsl when brake pedal depressed and engine off. Note I did not start Jeep as I'm changing the oil and letting it drain overnight.

Have not checked the brake switch, I'll check that too.

Thanks again everyone for the help. Ron I've followed your info in the past so I know its' good info.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:37 AM
JK Newbie

So finally problem solved..........there was a short in one of the wires located under the fusebox. Fixed that, then was able to complete my third brake light relocation to the spare. Thanks everyone for the help!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Brakelight.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	613684  
Old 03-02-2020, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tipm box

Hi, so I think it’s my tipm box, I have tried swapping out fuses, hooking a voltage meter up and had electrical engineers at work helping me, but I was trying to wire a reverse camera in, and was going to use the CHMSL light for power since you have to press the break in to reverse so I thought it’d work, well I think I blew something because every Light but the CHMSL works.
Originally Posted by ronjenx

Quick Reply: Third Brake Light (CHMSL) Not Working