Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Third Brake Light Blocks Camera Placement

Old 08-01-2021, 10:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third Brake Light Blocks Camera Placement

I've got a 2018 JKU and the 3rd brake light is just above center on my spare. I don't currently have the bracket to reposition it over the spare, and I want to install a back-up camera right above where the light is now. What are my options? Where can I buy an OEM style bracket and would I need to buy a new light too?

Trying to avoid:
spending $500 on the alpine 2-in-1
an off center camera of license plate
a low camera mounted on bumper/hitch

Old 08-02-2021, 04:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Do you have a picture of how the camera mounts up? Looking at how/where that light attaches seems like it would be easy to fabricate a little bracket that just rises up allowing you to mount the camera right on top of the light. Excuse the crude edited picture, but just thinking simple flatstock with a 90° bend that gets sandwiched between the brake light bracket and that lug extension -

It seems there could be some solution without moving the brake light. Another option, which I'm not sure would fly with your state requirements for a 3rd brake light would be to lower the light to the bottom lug of the wheel (drill a new hole in the bracket and mount it with a single lug support so it is centered). That might not be high enough to satisfy your 3rd brake light laws though.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast
Veteran: Air Force

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

When I installed my TypeS license plate frame camera I used the GP Factor license plate relocate kit. It includes mounting holes for the brake light. I haven't moved mine but I will if I get larger tires.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Not sure about the US but up here that brake light does not meet Transport Canada specs where it has been moved to as it is supposed to be at average following drivers eyesight centerline. It was designed to alert following drivers the lead was applying brakes and alert them better. I would simply turf the light and mount your camera.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Not sure about the US but up here that brake light does not meet Transport Canada specs where it has been moved to as it is supposed to be at average following drivers eyesight centerline. It was designed to alert following drivers the lead was applying brakes and alert them better. I would simply turf the light and mount your camera.
Down here it really varies state to state. In Texas they didn't even enforce this for the longest time. I went years without a 3rd brake light. Finally rolled in for an inspection 2 years ago and even the place I go that is very lax had a hard line on it....had to have something that clearly lit up when brakes were applied. My current setup satisfies the inspection shops these days even though it is pretty minimal -

I'd imagine that California is a lot more strict in its laws.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

And to what end those lights function as really baffles me. A supercar that is 40 odd inches high has a light at around 37" so why can't the Jeep taillights work at that height? It's like the video that I just saw from a guy called Jailbreak Overlander who did a wonderful video Telluride to Ouray and he said that the only deaths and injuries was from people not "paying attention" on that pass. We all need to do the same driving and we wouldn't need these stupid lights. But up here in Canada we don't get pollution or safety inspected unless there is an order to do so by police ticket or similar so we get away with more things.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Do you have a picture of how the camera mounts up? Looking at how/where that light attaches seems like it would be easy to fabricate a little bracket that just rises up allowing you to mount the camera right on top of the light. Excuse the crude edited picture, but just thinking simple flatstock with a 90° bend that gets sandwiched between the brake light bracket and that lug extension -

It seems there could be some solution without moving the brake light. Another option, which I'm not sure would fly with your state requirements for a 3rd brake light would be to lower the light to the bottom lug of the wheel (drill a new hole in the bracket and mount it with a single lug support so it is centered). That might not be high enough to satisfy your 3rd brake light laws though.
Appreciate the photo. That *could* work but it would be pushing the cam far back and lose perspective on the bumper. Also, hoping for a plug and play option. Honestly wish mine had come with the standard light placement. Here's the type of mount I'm looking at https://amzn.to/3fnqTeR

Too bad I can't find a JL style cam that comes out the middle of the rim.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I wonder if you simply flipped the current brake light and bracket upside down if that would open up more of a view for the camera. I do see how mounting the camera on a fabricated bracket like I was originally thinking would be a little unsightly and not very discreet vs hiding in the wheel like this -

Old 08-02-2021, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Hmm you're right maybe that would give enough clearance.

Also playing with maybe just getting one of these and attaching it to the underside of the brake light https://amzn.to/3rMX10x
Old 08-04-2021, 02:27 AM
JK Newbie

Hi! My name is Azariy and I am a new member at your forum! Learning how to post now.

Originally Posted by tighefighter
I've got a 2018 JKU and the 3rd brake light is just above center on my spare. I don't currently have the bracket to reposition it over the spare, and I want to install a back-up camera right above where the light is now. What are my options? Where can I buy an OEM style bracket and would I need to buy a new light too?

Trying to avoid:
spending $500 on the alpine 2-in-1
an off center camera of license plate
a low camera mounted on bumper/hitch

employee monitoring

Quick Reply: Third Brake Light Blocks Camera Placement