Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Thinking about adding lights....

Old 06-16-2010, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking about adding lights....

I'm thinking about adding the two lights that go on the bottom of the windshield on both sides. What I would like to know which is the easiest mount to use, and how do you run the wires so you don't see them?
Old 06-16-2010, 01:54 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stonewhite
I'm thinking about adding the two lights that go on the bottom of the windshield on both sides. What I would like to know which is the easiest mount to use, and how do you run the wires so you don't see them?
I used the MBRP brackets, they were 1/2 the price of the Mopar brackets and I have been satisfied them them.

This write-up should help you out a little:
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...up-and-testing

Additionally with the write-up you would remove the wipers and hood vent to get access to put your wires out of view and hook upto the battery. Running the wire/light switch is simple to the dash, just follow WOL's technique.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I added a set of Stryker 170 HID's to mine. The brackets I made, because I didn't care much for the one's I was seeing online, and really didn't like the prices! I put my ballasts and all of the wiring up under the cowl on the front just in front of the windshield.
The only part of the wiring you see is where they come out and attach to the lights themselves.
Most mounts use the same screws on the corner of the windshield.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00140..jpg
Views:	81
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	72997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00139..jpg
Views:	58
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	72999  

Last edited by Wrangled; 06-16-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: another pic
Old 06-16-2010, 02:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
I used the MBRP brackets, they were 1/2 the price of the Mopar brackets and I have been satisfied them them.

This write-up should help you out a little:
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...up-and-testing

Additionally with the write-up you would remove the wipers and hood vent to get access to put your wires out of view and hook upto the battery. Running the wire/light switch is simple to the dash, just follow WOL's technique.
Ok, those look nice! I assume the hood vent is attached with those little metal tabs that you pull up on, to pop them out?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

The lights by the windshield are a GREAT ADD ON!!! I have the KC lights and could not be happier, brackets sold seperateClick image for larger version

Name:	009..jpg
Views:	61
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	72998
Old 06-16-2010, 02:13 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by stonewhite
Ok, those look nice! I assume the hood vent is attached with those little metal tabs that you pull up on, to pop them out?
The hood vent (cowl) uses the Torx head (4 - black screws) can't remember the Torx size off hand. With the mounts you will remove the screws on the windshield with the Torx head and re-use. My MBRP brackets did not have any foam backing but I added some foam weather stripping to the back of them before I mounted to the windshield to protect the paint from scratching when I mounted the bracket.

Also, pick up some flexible wiring loom to make the job look stock.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

would anyone know where i could find fog lights to add in my bumper XHD Modualr bumper, factory 08 JK did not come with them,,,,dealerships want WAY too much I will be doing the wireing and install,,,can anyone help???
Old 06-16-2010, 02:24 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by raildog13
would anyone know where i could find fog lights to add in my bumper XHD Modualr bumper, factory 08 JK did not come with them,,,,dealerships want WAY too much I will be doing the wireing and install,,,can anyone help???
How about salvage yard???
Old 06-16-2010, 02:30 PM
JK Super Freak

I used the 4" HIDX style lights with HIDX mounts. The white wires are the wiring harness I bought from eBay for $10. The thin white wire goes to a lighted switch on my dash. I have the black wire wrap I'm gonna cover it all with and then nylon tie it to the factory harness to clean it up.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

8 bucks for duplicolor bed spray liner and 4 bucks for "L" brakcets at home depot or lowes and a drill you can make your own brackets for half the price and you don't have to wait for someone to ship it to you.

Quick Reply: Thinking about adding lights....