Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Thanks Daniel Stern

Old 03-08-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E907,

I swear, I think you have the best looking silver JK out there!

Your light set up is great. I plan on getting some more lights pretty soon, but my next mod is a new front bumper (Iron Bull) and converting to the 6" FT LA by adding new coils and shocks. Almost did it today, but life got in the way. You know how it goes.

I am very pleased with how this turned out, and how easy it is.

The next time I see someone post a new thread about "which first mod should I do,..." I will tell them to do this, or something like this. It's just too easy!

PS do you have to wear a certain SPF to drive that thing with all the lights blazing???
Old 03-08-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just can't wait to see how your Jeep looks with that new bumper.
Have you decided what winch to go with? Lights?
I really like full width bumpers with integrated winch and lights.

You don't have to wear sunscreen with my lights, that's what the tinted glass is for!
Old 03-08-2009, 06:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info.

One Q: am I reading correctly? You tinted your FRONT windshield completely with 50%? Not only is that illegal in most if not all states, that's just nuts! Why? And this is coming from someone who believes 100% in tinted windows and has NEVER owned a car that wasn't tinted (well, except for my current `68 LeMans Convertible, but that's a different story).
Old 03-09-2009, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Thanks for the info.

One Q: am I reading correctly? You tinted your FRONT windshield completely with 50%?
Adam, 50% isn't dark at all, it is noticeable, but not dark.
I looked at 70% but couldn't see where it was even worth the trouble.
50% on the windshield really makes the tint job. It makes the other tint much more effective, and eliminates contrast. The fact that there is some tint on all the glass gives a more even effect.

I had one passenger remark on how there was less glare with my 20% tint, much less than on her Chevy with 5% on the windows and back glass. I never pointed out that the windshield was also tinted, and she never noticed.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

mmcan superlative right up and with the pictures you will make my job this weekend much easier! Just received the harness today (lamps and bulbs last week) and WOW that is some heavy weight harness! Looks like it could carry at least 1K gigawatts! Again thanks for the great write up.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Fathom
mmcan superlative right up and with the pictures you will make my job this weekend much easier! Just received the harness today (lamps and bulbs last week) and WOW that is some heavy weight harness! Looks like it could carry at least 1K gigawatts! Again thanks for the great write up.
My pleasure!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 12:18 AM
JK Newbie

Default Many thanks mmcan

This write up was quite helpful in my install yesterday. Lucky you only busted one knuckle! I split the underside of my nailbed and abraided/cut/scraped the other hand!! haha!

I'm including some shots of where I put the relay and an ideal place to run the wires through. It took me 4 times of pulling it all into position, then having to pull it all out again to get the wires to run properly.

See the one pic [bolt.jpg] of where my finger is pointing to a small silver bolt. This bolt attaches to a plastic mount/tray. I found that running the wires through and under the plastic cover there was ideal to keep the wires neat and protected.

If you choose to do this, don't do what I did and try to remove the bolt and force the wires under the plastic. It didn't work. I had to remove the entire harness that I'd already fully installed and start over by running the lamp sockets FIRST from the battery area underneath the plastic. [Although it may be helpful to have the bolt removed so you can wiggle the plastic to ease the wires under.]

In [relay left.jpg] you can see I zip tied the relay to a stock wire run and also the hot/ground wires to the battery. I the inline 30amp fuse is zipped up there also.

In [wire run.jpg] you can see where the wires pass beside the Jeep's electronics box to the passenger headlight area. I pushed them below that painted nut to hold them down. That body colored nut is a ground for some of the Jeep's electrical stuff.

Once I got the driver's side wire passed through the way mmcan did it, I tried to ensure [by zip tying it tighly] the wire didn't directly touch any parts that may get really hot. The sheath says 130C but I didn't want to have to risk melting the plastic - just in case.

Once again thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	20739   Click image for larger version

Name:	relay left.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	20740   Click image for larger version

Name:	wire run.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	20741  
Old 03-15-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Super Freak

I installed mine today too! Just a quick trip in the rain so far, but it's definitely an improvement. Looking forward to seeing it dry. Also, I need to aim them still, but the rain hasn't let up here for four days.

Thanks, DS and Mccan!
Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also agree that tinting the windshield is just crazy. You can talk and justify it all you want, but tinting your windshield is illegal in every state I've ever lived in.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 03-17-2009, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the write up. How are the high beams? My OEM high beams are basically useless.

Quick Reply: Thanks Daniel Stern