Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Tapping into aux input from behind

Old 04-13-2007, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping into aux input from behind

Does anyone know if it is possible to hardwire something into the Aux Input from the rear of the Radio units?

thanks
B
Old 04-13-2007, 07:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ksroqclimber
Does anyone know if it is possible to hardwire something into the Aux Input from the rear of the Radio units?

thanks
B
I'm not sure if its possible from the rear, but its possible from the front I'm sure. You'd probably void your warranty though. I bet it can be done though. Are you volunteering?
Old 04-13-2007, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I am wanting to hardwire my Sirius unit to the radio. I don't like cables dangling.......unless it is a mic for my CB. I also think it is kind of tacky to plug into the mini jack in thr front and run the cable into the dash......creting a psuedo hardwire.

I may have to look into it.
B
Old 04-13-2007, 10:55 AM
JK Jedi

Well, I am wanting to hardwire my Sirius unit to the radio. I don't like cables dangling.......unless it is a mic for my CB. I also think it is kind of tacky to plug into the mini jack in thr front and run the cable into the dash......creting a psuedo hardwire.

I may have to look into it.
B
Well the good news is there is an aux on the front. So in theory even if you can't tap into the back, you could probably take apart the radio...do a little drilling and splice into the front aux line, and run it out the back. Nothing a trip to radioshack and a soldering iron can't handle. I'll probably do something similar for my ipod once mine comes in....at least until i swap HUs
Old 04-13-2007, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

thanks
B
Here is the pinout for the 6 disc stereo. It does not look like there is an additional audio input on the back. There is a microphone input, but that would not be in stereo and that feature has been disabled on our stereos... even then, how would you activate it? I am not sure what they mean by audio return either... so that may be something to explore. Someone on this board just had the wire come out by the AUX jack and plug in... nice and neat. I believe it was an IPod install in the center console.

Found the IPod article: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=IPOD+install

Last edited by USAF_GroundRat; 04-13-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd actually thought of this as well. I'd be curious to know if you come up with anything. My thought was to "hardwire" the XM, then when I wanted, I could just turn it off and plug in the iPod.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:18 PM
JK Jedi

I imagine that the 1/8" jack in the front has a line running to a board, so if you take apart the radio, you could probably splice the line and drill a hole in the HU bottom or side..then run the new line behind the dash where its out of site. If that makes any sense.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Glad to see that someone else has thought about this. I am very electronically inclined and thought about doing the same thing. I even purchased the 1/8" jack to connect and everything.

I took my stereo out and took it apart. The idea seemed feasible until I realized that the face of the HU actually comes off like a detachable face plate with tiny PIN connectors.

Unfortunately, I was unable to track the feed throughout the complex circuitry inside the HU. Actually, it wasn't that complex to me, but I decided not to deal with it at all.

If anyone figures this out, please let me know. I am still looking for the schematic to the HU itself.

I did what a lot of people are doing with my aftermarket SIRIUS reciever and used a 90 degree 1/8" jack on the aux input and into the dash. It doesn't look too bad, but I too am very neurotic about nice clean and hidden cable work.

I will post pics of my install...
Old 04-13-2007, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by djtonym
Glad to see that someone else has thought about this. I am very electronically inclined and thought about doing the same thing. I even purchased the 1/8" jack to connect and everything.

I took my stereo out and took it apart. The idea seemed feasible until I realized that the face of the HU actually comes off like a detachable face plate with tiny PIN connectors.

Unfortunately, I was unable to track the feed throughout the complex circuitry inside the HU. Actually, it wasn't that complex to me, but I decided not to deal with it at all.

If anyone figures this out, please let me know. I am still looking for the schematic to the HU itself.

I did what a lot of people are doing with my aftermarket SIRIUS reciever and used a 90 degree 1/8" jack on the aux input and into the dash. It doesn't look too bad, but I too am very neurotic about nice clean and hidden cable work.

I will post pics of my install...
Well... if you went to all that trouble, couldn't you just solder a wire to the jack itself? Run that wire through the radio and out the back with 3.5mm jack?
Old 04-13-2007, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Actually, for me it wasn't any trouble at all. I thought the exact same thing about the jack.

Unfortunately, the wires feeding it are built into the face itself and are not accessible by any means.

The face itself cannot be disassembled. They are also probably internally soldered to a circuit board and if I can recall correctly, the wires are fed by a ribbon cable that's wires cannot be more than 32 AWG.

It wouldn't be wise to attempt splicing into them...

Quick Reply: Tapping into aux input from behind