Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Tablet Carputer Console Installation

Old 01-23-2010, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tablet Carputer Console Installation

Here is my revised console with tablet carputer installed at the top and remaining "components" rearranged as necessary:

The computer is an old touchscreen tablet Fujitsu Stylistic C-500 running Windows 2000. Old 'n' slow, but works fine for music, mapping, and FI tuning (not on the JK )

After removing the bezel and head unit, I popped the "faceplate" off the factory head unit.

I don't have a BEFORE pic, but the socket for the faceplate was attached to the front face of the head unit. I had an auto electronics shop de-solder the socket and attach it to the end of a ribbon cable, so I could relocate the "faceplate" as desired.

I placed the faceplate below the dash vents on some aluminum brackets I bent and drilled out of some scrap lying around. The heat/AC controls had to be moved down an inch or so, but the control cables did not need to be modified. I did have to clearance a bit of plastic to allow full travel of the vent and temp dials.

I screwed aluminum angle to the left side to hold the tablet. The right is held in with another angle bracket with a hole that lines up with the stylus mount in the lower right-hand corner. By sliding the stylus out, the computer comes out in seconds (for mounting in another car).

I fashioned trim pieces out of aluminum channel to cover the right side tablet mounting and for both sides of the faceplate and heat/AC controls. I painted all my aluminum with Rustoleum Grip & Guard for a durable, textured finish. The bottom panel is not yet finished, the factory 12v outlets and USB hub are currently a tangled mess, but I may clean that up.

Using Road Runner front end and DeLorme Street Atlas for mapping

Joel
Old 01-23-2010, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.

Originally Posted by ECHO
...Are you going to relocate your ESP & Hazards on the Side?[/COLOR]
There is no room along the sides of the faceplate or heat/AC controls (behind trim). I will probably leave switches where they are. I have to create a panel to conceal wiring and hold switches and 12v outlets.

Quick Reply: Tablet Carputer Console Installation