Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Switched 12 volt source

Old 01-06-2012, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switched 12 volt source

Im looking for a switched 12 volt source to install my led footwell lighting. I know about the ones that runs to the dome light and the one that is on the dimmer switch with the gauges but I'm looking for one that is always 12v when the vehicle is started. Anyone know of any? Thanks!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe my write up can help.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Well-Lighting

i used the left 12V outlet which is ignition hot while the right 12V outlet is always on with the battery.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tnsatbhs
Im looking for a switched 12 volt source to install my led footwell lighting. I know about the ones that runs to the dome light and the one that is on the dimmer switch with the gauges but I'm looking for one that is always 12v when the vehicle is started. Anyone know of any? Thanks!
Tapping into the cigarette lighter can be used for your LED's, given their low power draw. Will work fine.

Don't use it for more powerful needs, I tapped and used it as a switched source for 100w windshield lights, found out that the lights pulled too much draw and the JK canbus shut down power to cig lighter.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone know how to get to the cig lighter on an '11? I followed the write up but the '11 dash is different... Are there any switched sources in the footwells that anyone knows about?
Old 01-06-2012, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

I did the same footwell light addition but wired it into the dome circuit. Anytime you open the door, or turn on the dome, the footwell lights up, works great. Just find and tap into the correct wire in the bundle on the passenger side kick panel. There's a long thread on this topic with the correct wire color (yellow/white if memory serves).
Old 01-06-2012, 01:03 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Give this a try: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...d-Power-Source

Or this: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...y-Power-Source
Old 01-06-2012, 01:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You always have the best write-ups! Keep em comming
Old 01-06-2012, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

I installed LEDs with the cigarette lighter as power on my 2011. Works great. In order to get to the lighter you need to pull apart the dash. Remove the plastic cover under the steering wheel, unscrew the 2 upper screws that hold in the dash panel. Another screw is under the tray on top of the dash and another is behind the cover where the power window switches would go (i do not have power windows, so that area was blank). Pull out the dash panel. Then you can remove the panel with the AC controls and the one with the cargo net next to the floor. They are just held in with clips. Use a putty knife to get started. The back of the cigarette lighter is right there and the wires are easily accessable to tap into. Quadratec sells a kit but that is probably unnecessary. Then you can run the wires down behind the panels and over to the footwells for a really clean install. I also use that source to charge my iphone while I am driving. Works great all at the same time. I even plug in my bluetooth speaker to the cigarette lighter simultaneously. Even with all that, no problems. i did it all in about 3 hours and I am not swift at these things so I am sure anyone can do it. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dgelb
I installed LEDs with the cigarette lighter as power on my 2011. Works great. In order to get to the lighter you need to pull apart the dash. Remove the plastic cover under the steering wheel, unscrew the 2 upper screws that hold in the dash panel. Another screw is under the tray on top of the dash and another is behind the cover where the power window switches would go (i do not have power windows, so that area was blank). Pull out the dash panel. Then you can remove the panel with the AC controls and the one with the cargo net next to the floor. They are just held in with clips. Use a putty knife to get started. The back of the cigarette lighter is right there and the wires are easily accessable to tap into. Quadratec sells a kit but that is probably unnecessary. Then you can run the wires down behind the panels and over to the footwells for a really clean install. I also use that source to charge my iphone while I am driving. Works great all at the same time. I even plug in my bluetooth speaker to the cigarette lighter simultaneously. Even with all that, no problems. i did it all in about 3 hours and I am not swift at these things so I am sure anyone can do it. Good luck.
Thanks. That helps. I think I will do this now. I couldn't find all of the screws though the first time I tried to take the dash off.

Quick Reply: Switched 12 volt source