Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Switchback LED question

Old 12-19-2014, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switchback LED question

I'm looking to install something like this on my 2012 JKU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dK98Z6Oq_I The poster installed Diode Dynamics SMD60 LED Switchback Front Turn Signals - which have since been discontinue and no replacement model is offered. I won't link to the original topic because it's on another forum but I'm wondering how I could still accomplish this.

I have no clue what I'm doing but it looks like regular amber LED front turn signals for Wranglers are LED SMD27. Could I look for either SMD27 or SMD60 LED Switchback turn signals, with a resistor kit, and install them? On eBay I found a few items under 60 SMD or 27 SMD for LED Switchbacks but it says they won't fit my 2012 JKU.

Last edited by FutureDenver; 12-19-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureDenver
I'm looking to install something like this on my 2012 JKU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dK98Z6Oq_I The poster installed Diode Dynamics SMD60 LED Switchback Front Turn Signals - which have since been discontinue and no replacement model is offered. I won't link to the original topic because it's on another forum but I'm wondering how I could still accomplish this.

I have no clue what I'm doing but it looks like regular amber LED front turn signals for Wranglers are LED SMD27. Could I look for either SMD27 or SMD60 LED Switchback turn signals, with a resistor kit, and install them? On eBay I found a few items under 60 SMD or 27 SMD for LED Switchbacks but it says they won't fit my 2012 JKU.
Here you'll find #3157 (the right socket number) White-Amber Switchback LEDs for the '12JK:

Link -Notice the AW vs AO.
The AO flashes amber-off-amber.
The AW flashes amber-white-amber.
I prefer the AO, and am not sure if the AW is legal in all countries.

Last edited by GJeep; 12-21-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GJeep
Here you'll find #3157 (the right socket number) White-Amber Switchback LEDs for the '12JK:

Link -Notice the AW vs AO.
The AO flashes amber-off-amber.
The AW flashes amber-white-amber.
I prefer the AO, and am not sure if the AW is legal in all countries.
Awesome that's just what I'm looking for. Could you help me pick out the right bulb? I'm not sure what wattage or bulb size to get. I am going to get the AW though I live in the US so should not have any legality issues.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureDenver
Awesome that's just what I'm looking for. Could you help me pick out the right bulb? I'm not sure what wattage or bulb size to get. I am going to get the AW though I live in the US so should not have any legality issues.
As the AW switches between amber & white, it's draws less attention than amber-off-amber, especially during the day. As the marker is a safety part, you may want to reconsider.

Check the - "3157 Selection and Installation Tips", at --

Those are LEDs, so the higher wattage doesn't pose a problem.
I know that the 92 LEDs is used by a few people.
In case the fuse blows, just put a stronger one.

I suggest you take your current bulb out and measure the diameter and length, then pick LEDs that aren't too wide to fit though that hole.
I think it's about 21mm hole, not sure.

The Jeep computer "expects" a regular bulb with higher resistance, and would interpret the low load of the LED as a problem.
To cure that, a resistor is added to each light. See 'Load Equalizers / Resistors', at: One for each light, rated at around the wattage of the LED.
The resistors get warm, so tuck them in the bumper, not touching plastic.
If you put them on the '-' wire (earth, connected to the Jeep body), there's no risk for a short.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by GJeep; 12-22-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did you ever end up purchasing the LED's in the link that was added? Fitment issues?

Quick Reply: Switchback LED question