Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Switch Pros SP8100 arrived

Old 08-10-2015, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Switch Pros SP8100 arrived

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-91480782.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	621054
I rarely order new things on the market but I bought a new jk so I figured why not. Looking forward to showing what exactly this thing is all about.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue7
Attachment 621054
I rarely order new things on the market but I bought a new jk so I figured why not. Looking forward to showing what exactly this thing is all about.
I'm interested to see what you come up with. I'm curious what makes this better than the SPOD other than maybe it's button layout? It doesn't seem to have the SPOD's wire management unless I'm missing something.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:24 PM
JK Freak

Based on what I can tell, it's not fused but that's not expensive to add. For me it came down to button preference and size of the switch panel. SwitchPros panel was much smaller and had more options for mounting locations. I'm not a fan of the rocker switches. The SwitchPros one is a micro switch behind a membrane. I also like the ability to control it from my iPhone (for much cheaper than a similar option with sPod I think).

I have yet to install mine so I'll comment more once it's done.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Good News, there is a fuse

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Based on what I can tell, it's not fused but that's not expensive to add. For me it came down to button preference and size of the switch panel. SwitchPros panel was much smaller and had more options for mounting locations. I'm not a fan of the rocker switches. The SwitchPros one is a micro switch behind a membrane. I also like the ability to control it from my iPhone (for much cheaper than a similar option with sPod I think).

I have yet to install mine so I'll comment more once it's done.
The SP8100 uses a 100 amp midi fuse. Your protected.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default This should answer most Questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXA1eVxxlRM
Old 08-11-2015, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any jeep specific videos out there? Where does the wiring go under the hood? Is the button pad wireless?
Old 08-11-2015, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TripleBJK
Is there any jeep specific videos out there? Where does the wiring go under the hood? Is the button pad wireless?
There is a mounting plate, because the unit is solid state it is able to mount up right near the battery on the firewall or back of engine bay. The wiring comes directly out of the unit " 8 Positive Wires" and connects to the accessories anywhere you would like. the button pad is not wireless but supports Bluetooth at no extra cost. one coild in theory not mount the switches at all and use a phone or ipad to trigger the lights.

This unit also ties into the vehicles parking lights so it dime with the auto headlights.

the SP 8100 also has strobe and flash functions for every power outlet... which is fun

Its also worth mentioning that no ground wire has to be run back to the device as far as I can tell. This means one wire out and ground anywhere.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rescue7
The SP8100 uses a 100 amp midi fuse. Your protected.
Right, the whole thing is fused, but there are not individual fuses for each component. In my opinion, you'd want to tailor your fuses to your components. I'm not wiring guru by any stretch of the imagination, but this was my understanding.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Right, the whole thing is fused, but there are not individual fuses for each component. In my opinion, you'd want to tailor your fuses to your components. I'm not wiring guru by any stretch of the imagination, but this was my understanding.
Neither am I lol, I believe there is overload protection built into the solid state for every accessory and it cuts power in milliseconds if something is detected. If im not mistaken they cover some of its features like this in the video. However i cant see any bad coming from adding an inline.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Much larger thread

Confirmed Fuses and relays are not needed.

Quick Reply: Switch Pros SP8100 arrived