Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

switch clusters??

Old 02-07-2010, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default switch clusters??

I've noticed alot of people fabricating switch panels or buying daystar ....my question is why doesnt anyone use the existing switch panel that has the 4ways and esp button? i still have 3 spaces for more switches...is it you cant get switches to mount in there? i think it would be an ideal location for other light switches plus keep the factory look.

Last edited by Detonatorunlimited; 02-07-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Detonatorunlimited
I've noticed alot of people fabricating switch panels or buying daystar ....my question is why doesnt anyone use the existing switch panel that has the 4ways and esp button? i still have 3 spaces for more switches...is it you cant get switches to mount in there? i think it would be an ideal location for other light switches plus keep the factory look.
You might have two spaces but not 3. The two left spaces are used on rubicon models, but the blank one next to the ESP is not blank... it lights up and says pass airbag off, when you have somebody or something light on the pass. seat.

There is a circuit board that is on the back of these spaces, so it is very difficult to fit a switch in those empty spots. It is typically avoided, but there are a few people who have managed to put them there.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Basically it can't be done, plain and simple. It may look like switches but behind the buttons is a circut board that controls certian functions. There are many many threads on this to tell you why. Some have fit switches that are mounted to the cover of the switch cluster. Also, I believe that once you obtain a new cluster that have the push buttons on all the spaces provided you need the dealer to flash your system so they work right. This is why Daystar, and at one time Cooltech llc. developed switch panels. Just a easier way to do it. Search "switches" and you will get all the info you need.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by horwitzs
You might have two spaces but not 3. The two left spaces are used on rubicon models, but the blank one next to the ESP is not blank... it lights up and says pass airbag off, when you have somebody or something light on the pass. seat.

There is a circuit board that is on the back of these spaces, so it is very difficult to fit a switch in those empty spots. It is typically avoided, but there are a few people who have managed to put them there.
The blank switch is suppose to be an airbag light? Is that only on certain years? I've never seen anything displayed on my 2008 Rubicon with front and side airbags.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mainejeeper
The blank switch is suppose to be an airbag light? Is that only on certain years? I've never seen anything displayed on my 2008 Rubicon with front and side airbags.
Throw a big phone book or two on the front seat. It should think there is a little kid in the seat and disable the airbag and illuminate the spot between the hazards and ESP buttons.

K2... are you sure it can't be done???

Last edited by horwitzs; 02-07-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:38 PM
JK Freak

It can be done with some fine dremiling skills and patience. Most people stick switches elsewhere for ease of use/wiring. You have to take off the whole A/C and head unit assembly to really get in there. 4 bolts and 6 clip pins are kind of a PITA. I think it looks cleaner than the daystar rocker panel replacement, but the rocker panel is two shimmies away from coming out, and you have ample room to wire.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by horwitzs
Throw a big phone book or two on the front seat. It should think there is a little kid in the seat and disable the airbag and illuminate the spot between the hazards and ESP buttons.

K2... are you sure it can't be done???

Horwitzs, If you read what I put I said you can add a switch there (like your picture shows) to that spot, but be careful cause you can "F" up the circuit board behind the switch cluster. You can’t add a Factory switch there unless you buy the cluster with the switches and have the dealer turn them on for you.

I have no airbag light there either; it is just a blank spot where the light would be. Not sure if it's model or year specific for that to have the Air Bag light.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by K2's JK
Horwitzs, If you read what I put I said you can add a switch there (like your picture shows) to that spot, but be careful cause you can "F" up the circuit board behind the switch cluster. You can’t add a Factory switch there unless you buy the cluster with the switches and have the dealer turn them on for you.

I have no airbag light there either; it is just a blank spot where the light would be. Not sure if it's model or year specific for that to have the Air Bag light.
Sorry, I misread or misunderstood what you were saying about using a factory switch there.
Here is what the passenger airbag light looks like when illuminated:
I don't know anything about what years may or may not have it... I thought it was standard. When the light is off, you can not see the lettering or symbol on that spot. It is very hard to see that there is anything there. It would be very easy to mistake it as blank, but as I said, I don't know if there are differences in model years, so maybe yours actually is empty.

Last edited by horwitzs; 02-08-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: switch clusters??