Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sway Bar, Lockers, Hazzard Light, and ESP OFF not working

Old 06-22-2008, 01:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway Bar, Lockers, Hazzard Light, and ESP OFF not working

I ran across this today as I started on a trail. It started to get a little rough and I went into 4Hi and pushed the Sway Bar button on my Rubicon to disconnect the sway bar. No response and no flashing light. I tried it several times and I even shut the motor off and turned it back on and still nothing. Well earlier when I was stepping into the jeep I noticed that there was a red and black wire that was hanging out on the driver's side of the center console. I thought that was odd but just tucked it away and went on to the trail. So I started thinking and I tried the lockers in 4Lo to see if they'd engage and they did not. Then I tried the hazzard button and that didn't work either. I'm thinking that the wire I saw hanging must control the button harness for all of those buttons and it must have either fried a fuse or somebody cut them. I think it would be kind of hard to know the exact wires, pull them out and cut them so I'm thinking it's a fuse. Maybe it has something to do with the power converter that I hook into the power outlet in front??? Any thoughts or has anyone else with a Rubicon or this button harness experienced this???
Old 06-24-2008, 12:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Well I took it to the dealer Monday morning and sure enough it was a fuse. They said they had no idea where that red wire came from and that it must be something I had done aftermarket. (Only thing I've done is install my CB radio but I had my Ham radio "professionally" installed)

When we took it home we tested that red wire hanging out from underneath the dash and it was part of the same circuit as the fuse we replaced. Theory we've come up with now is that since the wire was open-ended it must have touched on something that caused the fuse to blow. We've now since crimped the end of that wire so it will no longer cause the fuse to blow. As far as where it came from I think perhaps when I had the Ham radio installed that they were first trying to wire it to the ignition and thought that was it but then remembered that I wanted it hard wired to the battery so they did that instead but just left the wire hanging. Either way it is a little unbelievable that the same circuit that provides power to the dome light, hazard light, and some of the lower interior dash lights also provides it to the Sway Bar and Axle Lock buttons. They were all inoperative because of a single fuse!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 10:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar problem but without the hazard light issue. It was a sensor...or so they say.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pkess3
We've now since crimped the end of that wire so it will no longer cause the fuse to blow. As far as where it came from I think perhaps when I had the Ham radio installed that they were first trying to wire it to the ignition and thought that was it but then remembered that I wanted it hard wired to the battery so they did that instead but just left the wire hanging.
I'm glad to hear you have everything figured out and working again.

It's a shame that the "professional" installation of your ham radio led to the confusion.

That is why I'm really nervous about anybody working on my Jeep besides me.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by justinstoffregen
I had a similar problem but without the hazard light issue. It was a sensor...or so they say.
Exactly what sensor was it that you had a problem with mine is doing the exact same thing. It's not a fuse and I have tried everything else.

What's not working
Esp switch
Locker switch
Sway bar switch
And the 110 power outlet switch

The hazard lights still work
Old 03-19-2014, 04:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrutrubi11
Exactly what sensor was it that you had a problem with mine is doing the exact same thing. It's not a fuse and I have tried everything else. What's not working Esp switch Locker switch Sway bar switch And the 110 power outlet switch The hazard lights still work
I'm not the exact name of the sensor but it crippled my sway-bar disco and lockers. And although the tranny would shift into 4x4, it wasn't registering on the dash indicator. Happened about 3 times so far. :-/
Old 09-23-2015, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Hi all,

Having the same issues here on my 2009 Wrangler X 2 door. Ripped apart the whole dash and fuses are goodm connections are getting power but none of the switches are working including the lights. Help

Symptons:

Items not working -
HVAC control lights (Heat and AC do work)
Switch panel with ESP and HAzards (touched circuit for hazrds with a tester and they turned on when I touched)
Gear Shift lights not coming on

Everything else on the Jeep works fine.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Sway Bar, Lockers, Hazzard Light, and ESP OFF not working