Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Superchip flashpaq - pros and cons

Old 12-17-2014, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Superchip flashpaq - pros and cons

Whats up Jeepers!

I am thinking to buy a superchip flashpaq for my JK 07, i want to hear the PROS and CONS of those who have tried it or those who know about it.

Any comments are appreciated.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:10 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by drps137
Whats up Jeepers!

I am thinking to buy a superchip flashpaq for my JK 07, i want to hear the PROS and CONS of those who have tried it or those who know about it.

Any comments are appreciated.
Cons:
1. Any potential power gain is so little that it's unnoticeable.
2. Anytime the PCM is flashed there is a risk of permanent failure.
3. Cost

Pros:
1. Sets the TPMS and tire sizes.

edit: My opinion is based on actual use of both SC and DS tuners. Tuners often alter the throttle pedal response for more throttle with less pedal travel. This may tend to make the engine "feel" more powerful or livelier.

Last edited by Mr.T; 12-17-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the flashpaq on my 2010 JKU sport auto and am very pleased with it. I experimented with all the tunes and settled on the 87 performance one as the higher octane tunes didn't seem to offer much or any additional performance. I think it makes the 3.8 livelier, but much of it could be in changing the shift points on the auto. If you have, or are planning to, change gearing and/or tire size you will need something to correct the speedo anyway and I do feel there is a definite performance gain.

The crawl tune is also useful for slow rock crawling only. Don't try and use it climbing steep grades as it seems to detune the engine.

Quick Reply: Superchip flashpaq - pros and cons