Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Subwoofer replacement - opinions?

Old 04-01-2010, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer replacement - opinions?

I have the Infinity system in my 07 2 door and have swapped the stock amp with the Nitro amp - yes, I do notice a very nice difference so far. Now onto swapping the stock "Infinity" sub and speakers.

I have 3 in mind and was curious if anyone is running them or has knowledge which would work best in the stock enclosure (I don't mind modding it a little bit to accommodate a new sub for better sound).

JL Audio 8W3V3-2
w w w.sonicelectronix.com/item_13230_JL+Audio+8W3V3-2.html

Kicker 07CVR82
w w w.woofersetc.com/p5313/07CVR82--Kicker-8"-400-Watt-2-Ohm-DVC-CompVR-Subwoofer.htm

Rockford Fosgate
w w w.woofersetc.com/p6961/P2D28---Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-Stage-2-8"--Dual-2Ohm-Subwoofer.htm

Hard to find a huge selection of DVC 2 ohm subs so these seemed to be some of the better ones, while staying fairly inexpensive.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

i had th jl's but mounted them in the wrong place. i took them out and put the infinity back in. i would like to mount one of the jl's in the enclosure but i wm waiting for someone eles to do it and report
Old 04-01-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

I would go with the jl's. ive ran a few and they have the best sound quality to me. The kickers have more bass but dont sound as good imo.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go with the JL, they have a superior product to the other two, but you may have to mod it a little. JL also sells an enclosed 8 inch.

Good Luck!
Old 04-02-2010, 03:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input! Will report back when I get it in and installed.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

where did you locate the amp?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I looked on the moparpartsamerica for it. You have to drill down the categories.... as I could never find it by a part number search.

Click on Dodge Parts
Click on Nitro
Pick the year from the drop down towards the top (I used 2007 but have red that 07 and 08 are the same part)
Click on Instrument Panel on the left side
Then click on Sound System
And lastly click on Amplifier

Then it is like a 5-10 minute job to swap it out with the stock amp...pop the panel off under the steering column, undo a few screws for the bracket, unplug two wiring plugs in the back, take bracket off, put old bracket on new Nitro amp, plug both wiring plugs back in and screw it back into place.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

I want to do the same thing but I want to go with a bigger sub but keep the stock look. Can this be done and has anyone done this?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ITGeek
I looked on the moparpartsamerica for it. You have to drill down the categories.... as I could never find it by a part number search.

Click on Dodge Parts
Click on Nitro
Pick the year from the drop down towards the top (I used 2007 but have red that 07 and 08 are the same part)
Click on Instrument Panel on the left side
Then click on Sound System
And lastly click on Amplifier

Then it is like a 5-10 minute job to swap it out with the stock amp...pop the panel off under the steering column, undo a few screws for the bracket, unplug two wiring plugs in the back, take bracket off, put old bracket on new Nitro amp, plug both wiring plugs back in and screw it back into place.
So a nitro amp is better then our JK amp? And if so...how much better?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

KICKER all the way. We even have a system specifically designed for the Jeep Wrangler available from Mopar.

I have heard it and it sounds great. The sub box is designed so you can remove it easily and take more gear on the trail if you want to.

I said "we" because I work at KICKER so obviously I am biased.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer replacement - opinions?