Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Subwoofer help

Old 08-26-2013, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer help

This is a bit unrelated to the JK forum but I wanted to ask for advice on here because Jeep owners understand that storage space is a necessity. I have a JKU and I plan on removing the OEM 8" sub from the back right corner and adding a nicer 10" sub box along the back right wheel well. Any advice on how I can save as much space back there as possible?

Also, what kind of sub should I get without breaking the bank? I want a quality 10" subwoofer for $180-$220. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Just go with a good quality 8" sub.

Tantric sounds md-8
Sundown audio sa-8 v2

Those are two of the most capable and well built drivers.
Tc sounds also makes a line called epic that has a 8" woofer. They are known for great sound quality, but that's not saying it would be any better than the two mentioned above.. Sucks they don't have a lms coil for one of their 8" subs.

These are all nice drivers built by people who put them through the ropes. Tantric sounds and sundown hold numerous vehicles with amazingly low and loud vehicles. Both are also known to handle their rated power free air and not when in the enclosure. Something to think about as well.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Downward facing

My stereo guy said to get good sound when you ride with top off a downward facing sub will sound best.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Other than putting in a gigantic box with 12-15" woofers in the back and taking up all you storage, try building under seat subs. I tried 3 different configurations and under the front seats was the only one that provided the bass I wanted with the top off. It can be heard and felt with the top off while driving and doesn't blow away the neighborhood.

I second the recommendation above for Sundown subs. I am using the SD-2 10" under my front seats. I replaced the factory sub with a blank panel from Mopar. Completely stealth, top on or off.

Here was my first attempt at adding a 10" sub by "remodeling" the factory enclosure with fiberglass so I could run a 10" in the factory location and not lose storage space. Great with the hard top on, nonexistent with the top off:Click image for larger version

Name:	image-105830985.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	492293

Here is the Sundown sub sitting between the seat rails in a friend's Jeep before I started the build, look at the size of that surround. Low bass extension is impressive for a shallow sub - even better with two:Click image for larger version

Name:	image-268250101.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	492294

Last edited by Mattk11; 08-27-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:41 AM
JK Junkie

Pioneer TS-SWX251 Compact sealed enclosure with one 10" shallow-mount sub at Crutchfield.com

I have this sub powered by a Jensen amp and it sounds pretty damn good for its size. Plenty of bass if you want to turn it up. I'm no audio guy but it is more than enough for me. Big pros are, it fits perfectly flat behind the rear seat of a two door (even tho I don’t have the seat in anymore). It is only about 8” high or so, and since it’s a down firing sub, you can stack as much stuff on top as you want. So really, you don’t lose any room, just 8” of vertical space. I’ve had everything from groceries, to tool bags to my 35” spare tire on top of it with no issues. I highly recommend. Hard to beat in my opinion, and especially fits in your budget.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thought is that if you use a ported box your top down sound will suffer, sealed boxes have less of a problem producing good bass extension while the top is down.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Mattk11 I forgot about the sd and e series. People will call them lower line subs. They are literally "to fit your style or power subs. They all perform great. I like how they build their subs. Quality and with low end extension in mind.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bombout800
Mattk11 I forgot about the sd and e series. People will call them lower line subs. They are literally "to fit your style or power subs. They all perform great. I like how they build their subs. Quality and with low end extension in mind.
The SD is the same cone and surround as the SA with a modified, lower profile magnet structure. They sound great.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

I have a gun lock box under my driver side.. but I also thought about 2 subs.. I wonder what it would sound like with one in the back OEM box and one under the driver seat
Old 08-27-2013, 11:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mattk11

The SD is the same cone and surround as the SA with a modified, lower profile magnet structure. They sound great.
Oh I knew that I just forgot about them. I guess cause I really want two sa-8s. They are a little overkill though. And for what I want they probably won't be practical. The sd would be the better choice

Quick Reply: Subwoofer help