Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Subwoofer help

Old 12-03-2012, 10:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
ok, not to undermine everyone who has contributed here, but the L7 is one of my favorite speakers and I've used many. They are incredible, but they are needy and require several things. They have tight tolerances for box volume and certainly power requirements. In the beginning of the life of these subs you could push them to over excursion and the leads would pull from the cone, but I don't think thats a problem anymore. There are many variables when building a box, volume, ported, sealed, port dimensions, in phase or out of phase, separated duals... You can't just slap a system together with these.
If I were to put a stereo in my JK, hands down I would love to put 2 10" Ti L7's.
What kind of music do you listen to? Thats going to make the deciding factor here. If you've never heard the 10's in the L7's they are much louder than you'd expect, much. They are also punchy as a mother, so if you like rock thats a huge plus. With the 15 you're going to hate anything with emphasis on the kick drum and you're going to gravitate toward deep lows, like sub 50 hz. the 12's are ideal for trunks, but IMO you don't have enough space in the back to run 12's appropriately. Sure the shop will tell you they can squeeze them back there with custom blah blah.... fact is, speakers need air to operate, especially bass. Have you ever noticed that the further away from the sub you are, the more full the tone sounds?? If you put a 15 back there you're going to hear a lot of air and cone noise. 12's wont have enough air to breathe either. 10's in the L7 will be sick.
BUY AN APPROPRIATE AMP, sorry if you already have one or had that figured out already, I know you didn't ask about that, but do not underpower these subs.
have an appropriate box, if at all possible use the one from Kicker, its built to specs and worth the money. Do not let them use 3/4 MDF if its sealed and divided. If its sealed but not divided you can get away with that but its a sacrifice and you have to run 180 degrees out of phase.
You're going to run your alternator out early, so plan on that.
and you're going to be a target. don't thump in your neighborhood. You're going to have some serious beats in the easiest vehicle to break into ever.
Good luck, should be sick. Let me know if I can give any more insight.

You are right on soo many things. This is my opinion so dont take offense.

A subwoofers size shouldnt mean that noise should be apparent due to cone size. Cone size plays no role is punchy bass or low/high bass. Your spider/mechanical aspect of the motor and force are huge determining factors. A 10" sub may not have the ability to throw as far as an 18 but that doesnt mean the 18 cant be as punchy as the 10. IF the L7 has any significant cone noise, its a design flaw. This is why i dont like them. They dont have a great sound. They do hit low, which i have personal experience with, and work well in large boxes. Your design can hinder flaws of the L7, but cannot cut them out all together. Im not at all saying you wont be satisfied or happy with it. I just feel for what you get, there are more capable woofers out there in that price range.

My friend has one on their scarab and its in the hull and its the loudest thing on the water. But if you listen to it up close,(which nobody does) it just doesnt have a great sound. Its all a personal preference. I just wanted to lend my opinion to the OP.

@$300 or a little more and get
1.SA Series
2 sundown audio sa10s for 369.00(if you havent heard of these check them out)
same cone area 600w ea but.. Double the motor force and coil area. Less likely to get hot, resulting in longer play time.
These jokers take abuse

2.audioque hdc3 12 or 15
HDC312 Copper Coil Subwoofer
3" coil motor I have personally ran two of these 10s on one of there 3500's at .5ohm. For the money these are monsters

3.Tc sounds lms-r 369.00
TC Sounds LMS-R 12" DVC Subwoofer 293-658
absolute sex. LMS coils are amazing and the sound quality on these bad boys are just crazy.

Ill update as i think of some more options
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Speakers are like ice cream. I may like chocolate, you may like strawberry. I'm giving the op feedback on the speaker he mentioned, and that we can assume he likes already.
I've had some incredible results using L7s. I also liked my type R's and my excelons.
Actually now that I think of it OP. I had 2 kenwood excelon 12s in the back of a reg cab truck because they had a 4" mounting depth and very low enclosure volume requirements, might be worth looking into.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Well I may seem like im bashing them but im not. They are a decent woofer that carries a long time running brand name. I just wanted to give him other options as a lot of people don't know anything other than mainstream stuff. Which a lot of times isn't worth buying the name for.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Super Freak

I think it was you earlier that said a lot depends on what you listen to. I've been very surprised by the solobaric line plenty of times before. For the money(no argument) there are other option that could potentially spark his interest. I would much rather 2 10s than one 15. Then again if I found a deal on one 15 and retail on 2 10s, im going with the 15.

Op, read your specs on the woofer that sparks your interest. The lower the fs the easier it will play a lower frequency. Anything can play low or high, but the fs usually is a good indicator of what it plays free air. I think of it as its comfort zone. Box size power and tuning are going to be your key here. Also check bl in the specs. In some instances the higher the bl the better. Bl is your motor force or strength.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I greatly appreciate the other options which I am considering. Cause I don't know about other than name brands to trust
Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Just do a little reading. You'll learn a whole lot. You see people putting them through their paces
Old 12-03-2012, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

What do you guys recommended for amps.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:58 PM
JK Super Freak

What kind of power are you looking at?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

You could always get a more powerful amp and run it at 4 ohms. More efficient and you have headway for additions
Old 12-03-2012, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bombout800
What kind of power are you looking at?
Interested in the audioque15. Hooking to a 1000w rms. have heard good things about hifonics.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer help